1891 Model Officers Pickelhaube

Jim Newman

Would appreciated comments and confirmation. I believe this is a model 1891 officers helmet, the sheetmetal plate inside the helmet has been modified and three of the four screw which hold on the spike are steel.

Figure somebody messed with this one, is it more or less what it appears?

Thanks,
Jim

Looks like it just needs three star studs to replace those screws.
The scales appear to be base metal (zinc?) that've lost their gold wash.

pointystuff said:
Looks like it just needs three star studs to replace those screws.
The scales appear to be base metal (zinc?) that've lost their gold wash.

Agreed. It looks as if somebody scoured the spike base to within an inch of its life as well... With a little TLC, it should shape up nicely.

:D Ron

Good news, not sure how to tell what material the scales are but they feel rough to the touch.

Yeah, that was me scouring the spike base. Hope I am not hurting it, again removed from the helmet and just a old used soft rated tooth brush and gun oil. Really wanted to get the rust from the screws off the brass. Maybe I need to back off even more. Often less is more.

Thanks for the comments.

Jim

Yes mid war officer helme with zinc chin scales, original gold wash missing. The wappen appears to have been shellacked at one time, it has definitely been coated with something. For cleaning wappen especially officer's, I use Haggerty's Silver Foam. Its a paste and you use an old tooth brush and water to polish the piece. Repeat until you have it cleaned to your specs. Steel screw posts and square nuts also indicate a war time production piece as they began to experience brass shortages

Back