A small Polizei Tschako

SCHUPO

Gents,

This is a small example of the Prussian Police Tschako worn by the German Sicherheitspolizei and Schutzpolizei in the 1920s. It is made of stiff black material and has a metal police star front plate (with 1921 date) and a metal cockade on top. The front cockade has the black/white colors for Prussia and this insignia was worn by municipal police until circa 1936. The stiff kepi is black simulated leather along with a leather chin strap. The interior is lined with gold silk with the well known Erel maker name on the inside and the metal star front plate to advertise the maker of the Tschako.

This Tschako goes with a Prussian Police officer doll that was made for sale in select Berlin department stores in the early 1920s. The story of this Tschako and doll is related in a book on the Weimar Republic time period Polizei that explains this doll was a high dollar limited offering in select Berlin stores during the Christmas season. Perhaps this doll and its accouterments should be shown as a children's toy instead of a Tschako but I will choose to show it here due to its history.

These distinctive Prussian Police Tschakos from the time of the Weimar Republic are difficult to find today. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Schupo doll helmet.JPG
    Schupo doll helmet.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Schupo doll helmet logo.JPG
    Schupo doll helmet logo.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Schupo doll2.JPG
    Schupo doll2.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Schupo doll head2.JPG
    Schupo doll head2.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Schupo doll maker.JPG
    Schupo doll maker.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
What a great piece !
The face of the doll is superb... (y)
Thank you for noticing the painted wax face. I bought this piece from a doll collector years ago who told me dolls of this quality are very difficult to find. The doll itself has articulated arms and legs and the hands are also made of high quality sculpted wax. The uniform is also a faithful rendition of the Prussian Police uniform with an eight button front. The Erel Tschako speaks for itself.

Attachments

• Prussian Pol blue tunic.JPG
    Prussian Pol blue tunic.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 5
Really incredible quality, I would love to see an old catalog from those Berlin department stores.

I love them, thanks for taking time to share your collection. (y)(y)

Can you imagine how incredibly happy those young boys were to see such items under their trees on Christmas morning.

Back