A summary of the history of the Prussian helmet eagles

Sandmann

Dear fellow forum members,
I'm glad to present you my latest article "A summary of the history of the Prussian helmet eagles" on my website "Historien-Kabinett.net". As the name indicates, it's an overview about the meaning and history of the different Pickelhauben eagles. Unfortunately, the article has become longer than I wanted, but I had to dive deep into the history of Prussia to explain it. Nevertheless, I hope you like it and look forward to your opinions.
As always, feel free to download the article in PDF format in the download section.

Dear fellow forum members,
I'm glad to present you my latest article "A summary of the history of the Prussian helmet eagles" on my website "Historien-Kabinett.net". As the name indicates, it's an overview about the meaning and history of the different Pickelhauben eagles. Unfortunately, the article has become longer than I wanted, but I had to dive deep into the history of Prussia to explain it. Nevertheless, I hope you like it and look forward to your opinions.
As always, feel free to download the article in PDF format in the download section.
Excellent
Well done
Steve

Hello Sandy, Thank you, very informative
In fact, the Garde-Adler ohne Stern of the Gardes-Grenadier up to 1889 is not quite identical to the Linien-Grenadier-Adler from 1897.
The difference lies in 2 points.
1---The Garde-Grenadier-Adler ohne Stern shows a sword cross in the form of a "butterfly knot" AND, above all, the end of the sceptre is finished with a small eaglet.
There are 2 models ( until 1889)
-The pure Garde-Adler, with 4-fold headband, (ohne Stern) and crossed butterfly-knot sword
Garde-Adler ohneStern.jpg
-The Garde-Grenadier-Adler, with a 4-fold band (with Koenig) in the centre.
M60 GGR3 AV JP Gilotin.jpg
1DR 0ff S 5plis aiglon-sceptre.jpg
Infra, a hybrid model for the 7 UR, crossed S but aiglon at the end of the sceptre, and silvered nickel silver. In fact, the 2 "hybrid" eagles below are more the design of the Garde-Grenadier-Adler ohne Stern. They are the eagles of distinction of certain cavalry regiments (neither Garde nor Grenadier de Ligne).
7UR mixe  Gren&Gard.JPG

2---The Linien-Grenadier-Adler, shows an S-shaped crossed sword AND above all, the end of the sceptre is finished with an acanthus knob. (1897 à 1915)
Grenadier CGR9 Adrian02HM23.jpg
Grenadier- Adler M15 rarissime.GIF55

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Attachments

• Gren. 0ff Rés. GrR 2-3-5.jpg
    Gren. 0ff Rés. GrR 2-3-5.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi, it is difficult with the guard eagle without a star, probably too many different variants (as Clovis 57 already wrote).
(with straight or curved crossguard, Bandeau variants, number of tail feathers, sceptre with arcanthus flower or with small eagle, etc. ...)

Many years ago I was talking to Chip M. about guard eagle without a star and Chip always said about the sceptre with a small eagle:
chicken on a stick! 😂 Then we used only this word creation! 😁
;) Best regards, Jens

p.s.: Great work Sandy. Thank you!

Attachments

• AdlerOhneStern.jpg
    AdlerOhneStern.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • AVB1913GaedeAdlerOhneStern.jpg
    AVB1913GaedeAdlerOhneStern.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 23
Dear forum members,
unfortunately, I had to revise my article and have removed most of the last section with the sword mix-up. Unfortunately, I was guilty of a mix-up myself, as the TU Architecture Museum, which was the image source for the Electoral sword and the Margrave sword, gave incorrect image names and these were also used by other sites.
The confusion over the names of the swords is still a problem in research and it isn't made any easier by incorrect information on the internet, but that is a topic separate to this one now, which is why I have removed this section for the time being.

Thank you for your nice comment Mr. Bean and thank you Steve for your helmet photos.
@Charles: Unfortunately I don‘t have enough makers information to answer your question.
I would like to add my KIR 145 officer's helmet eagle to the thread
Garde eagle without the star and as Chip was quoted as saying "Chicken on a stick "
NOT a Grenadier eagle
On the close up you can see the "ghost " of a line eagle
when the front plate change came about , the officer's helmet was just fitted for the new front plate
SteveK I R 145 a McFarland collection.jpegK I R 145 Officer McFarland collection.jpeg

Thank you very much Sandy for your excellent research and for sharing these superb articles here with us on the forum. We greatly appreciate it.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Last edited:
Back