Baden Landwehr Wappen

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I am working on an M95 for Alan at present and this is the wappen from his helmet. In my experience we don't see these very often:
IMG_4567.jpeg
Note: No motto on the bandeau ribbon upon which the griffin is standing. The motto appears on the neusilber Landwehr cross and it is a "fur Furst" rather than the Prussian Koenig.
IMG_4568.jpeg
The presence of screw posts instead of loops generally indicates an older wappen. Note the typical grey patina of 100+ year old solder.

Yes, me too that is the reason for the post. The screw posts are also about .5". The helmet has excellent markings and is dated 1908. I will be posting photos of the helmet in the restoration section.

Last edited:
Brian:

I have an identical Wappen im my parts drawer. Unfortunately, some knot head cut the screw posts off so they only stand proud of the Wappen by about 1/8 of an inch.

Does anybody know the specs for the original threads?

It might be worth sourcing some brass bar stock and having it threaded. I have three or four Wappens with the same sort of issue

I have no clue Steve but I will post a couple of closeup pics of these screw posts tomorrow.

Thanks for posting this Brian. I barely got a chance to look at it before I sent it off to you to repair the dented in leather top of helmet.

Here's a close up of the markings.

I believe it reads: "II B.R.JR111" and "R.114", and "1908".

a Baden 114 Reservist Helmet 1.JPG

One of our newer members "Kenny" seems to have the best knowledge available on screw post thread and square nuts. He has offered to make them for collectors. I believe his posts are in the restoration section.

Back