Colour finishes on WW1 M.1915 Cavalry "Lobstertail&quot

Mart Vear

Question. I have seen a few examples of the OR's M.1915 metal cavalry helmet with a black painted exterior finish, although the majority of examples are in polished steel with a grey zinc-phosphate coating to the fittings (trim, plate, spike, etc.). Does anyone know more on this? Was the black exterior paint a subsitute WW1 application to camoflage the helmet (in addition to the cloth cover)?

Also, anyone know why the inner front peak is generally painted in green?? and why some helmets (for example my M.1915 Saxon GR) has a black coloured, glued leather liner to the inside face of the lobstertail section - extending as far as the base of the main liner?

Would welcome exchange of thoughts on this subject.

Regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin:
Regarding the use of green front visor colouration for all officer and Cav helmets. I have no clue. Perhaps it has something to do with reflection of light into the eyes?? I would point out that the green for visors has been carried on into our times on ball caps and thousands of different forms of headgear. I have also encountered numerous officer pickelhauben with black front visors. However, I have never seen an officer rear visor that was anything but red. Brian

green front visor colouration

I read in a secondary source that during the 1880s the Prussian war minister's office did a series of "scientific" tests on what was the best color to use for eyestrain. According to this source various shades of green were tried and one was actually adopted. I really do not know.

Back