Cuirassier M1189/94 questions

Mart Vear

Dear Forum members,

I'm currently conserving a 1914 dated OR's (Enlisted) Curraiser's helmet made by C.E.Junker with brass fittings. (see photos posted "Martin's Collection" - Discussion).

Conservation progressing very well indeed - black paint removed - very good shell with nice patina and the major dents carefully removed ( a few original 'dings' are always worth keeping, as if you were 94 years old you would have a few wrinkles!!!).

Can anybody help with the following advice:-

1). Brass (or steel?) retaining staples. Staples to rear of sideposts - should these be "T" shaped crimped brass, or brass with a soldered brass disc with one edge straight? (as on my GDK tombak helmet). The diameter of the outer retaining disc (if correct type of fitting) is about the size of a US Dime coin (10 - 12mm), from memory.

2). Liner. I assume a traditional EM with 9 tounges in originally tanned black finished leather as opposed to natural (as this helmet is stamped 1914). Note that many naturally-finished liners (i.e. not finshed in black) have the outer-facing exposed edge with a black finish - I've noticed this on several of my M.1915 EM pickelhaubes and also officer's private purchase pickelhaubes.

Any advice and photos will be greatly appreciated.

Will post some progress photos soon of the conservation project.

Regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin: I have pm'ed you with a contact who will be able to help out here. Please do post some pics of your project so we can keep up with the restoration. Brian

Back