Exotic helmet

911car

I was in Reunion island, in the middle of the Indian ocean, West of Madagascar and South-West of Mauritius. Why the hell did I have the ridiculous idea to post an ad in the local newspaper "Private collector looks for WW1 items" I will never know. The day after, a local came to me with a genuine, complete and untouched felt ersatz prussian helmet, which I purchased for... I prefer not to say, you would hate me.
Bruno

That story has got to be one for Ripley's believe it or not Bruno! Beyond comprehension, no one could imagine finding a helmet in that locale. Like I said..its a hunt for treasure!

Reality often surpasses fiction …

It is the hunt that makes this hobby interesting, see how fast we look for a new target once we found what we were looking for.

Spiker said:
Reality often surpasses fiction …

It is the hunt that makes this hobby interesting, see how fast we look for a new target once we found what we were looking for.

Indeed, psychologists who have studied the collector's mind have suggested that this addiction finds its roots in our ancestral hunter instinct. How many female spike helmet collectors do you know?..

Leone said:
Females collect dolls or babies. :)

I respectfully disagree because I am doing my utmost to infect my daughters with the haube virus much to the dislike of the missus I ought to admit :D

Regards,

Edwin

veerle+helm

edwin said:
Leone said:

I respectfully disagree because I am doing my utmost to infect my daughters with the haube virus much to the dislike of the missus I ought to admit :D

Regards,

Edwin
Me too. Sorry for off-top. :D

edwin said:
Leone said:

Regards,

Edwin

Good luck with that :thumb up: , I didn’t do any of the things my father liked, he was a referee in the premier league of football, I couldn’t care less about football…but you can always try….

Talk about luck! :thumb up:

Come on Bruno!! Tell us how many coconuts you had to trade it for :lol:

Actually, when are we going to see this baby and how did you make sure it would make it safe and sound back home among your luggage?

RON said:
Talk about luck! :thumb up:

Come on Bruno!! Tell us how many coconuts you had to trade it for :lol:

Actually, when are we going to see this baby and how did you make sure it would make it safe and sound back home among your luggage?

I did not trade coconuts, Ron, but I got the helmet for peanuts!
I don't know if PSA agents were particularly lenient on the island but I could carry the helmet on board, where it attracted considerable interest from the crew.
This helmet is long gone. It was the simplest, soft felt model with yellow metal fittings. I do not collect felt helmets anymore; the only one I kept is the JR115.
This reminds me of another related anecdote. I was traveling from Biarritz to Paris with a 1867 GdC helmet (with the spike) found on a farm on the countryside (this one I kept! see below). I went through security and, surprisingly, they let me go through with the helmet. As I was on the verge of boarding, a flight attendant came to me and said that the crew had seen it and was worried to see me on board with it... finally the captain decided to take it with him and the Franco-prussian war relic made the trip in the cockpit!

Another great story...I guess in the worst case scenario the pilot was worried you might put your helme on, lower your head and charge down the cabin aisle! The pilot probably started collecting Hauben after flying with that one.

Leone said:

Apparently some girls like haubes and history …

Musiker_zps152acf18.jpg

Great stories an most of all I like the last picture :-" Don't tell the missus :-# ...

Adler

Wonderful story! Cute kids! I don't collect stamps like my Dad did, although he tried unsuccessfully to ignite my interest. Now I have a collection of stamps I don't want.

:D Ron

Well now.....women in uniform, that does have a long history as does women in battle risking their lives helping the wounded before WW 1, during and after WW 2 until this very day. No war at any time,
could have been conducted without their help and sacrifice.

Back