GDC and GKR helmet plate variants

Mart Vear

I'm in the process of restoring two helmets - one is a 1915 dated OR's (GKR) , the other is a GDC officer-cadet version with parade eagle.

I recently was able to purchase an original replacement OR's wappen for the GKR helmet (as the original was missing), and have noted a couple of interesting differences:

1). One piece stamping with painted adler (no tomback / copper disc and separate adler).

2). Metal is a very "white" frosted nickel-silver.

3). The two knurled rings that border the "Suum Cuique" wording are very different from my other KGR OR's Parade helmet - the knurling is at an angle of about 45 degrees, angled clockwise, not running parallel to the "fingers" that form the design of the wappen.

This is also similar to the design of the wappen on my officer-cadet's helmet plate being assembled from several components.

Going back to the one-piece stamped plate, this is not one on those horrible copies that I've seen on e-bay, etc, as on close inspection there are a couple of blemishes on the plate, resulting from damage to the original die that stamped the plate. The plate is fixed in the usual manner but two threaded studs.

Comments from Forum Members most welcome!

Martin.

Martin,
I am out of town but
I have a nice picture of a GDC Fahnenjunker wearing his helmet. you can see much detail.
i will share on return. Barb Hutton's husband......

Back