Help needed identifying old saber scabbards

Marcus

These are some things I picked up long ago in case I ever encountered a saber in need of a scabbard that one of these fit and was correct for.

I'm pretty sure the top one is Imperial German, it is about identical to the one on an Imperial German saber I have.

The middle one I believe is for a Japanese saber.

But I have no idea what the bottom one is.

Any help identifying these, especially the bottom one, would be greatly appreciated.

DSCN0727.JPGDSCN0729.JPGDSCN0730.JPGDSCN0733.JPGDSCN0735.JPG

Hi, for the bottom one, I would check models around/pre 1890s. By the pictures, it looks like it originally had two rings, but was modified. By 1900, most scabbards were designed with one ring. This is a generalization, of course, but it's worth a consideration, especially as it appears modified.

Compare the drags on the scabbard. I'd also look at some Italian and Spanish models. I'll take a look later next week, this is just a start. I may have some swords to compare to.

Gabe

I believe the bottom scabbard is Austrian. This lower fixed ring and upper suspension band with an angled reverse slot is an Austrian design. Also notice the narrow drag. Look at M. Christian Ortner - Erich Artlieb, "With Drawn Sword, Austro=Hungarian Edged Weapons 1848-1918", for specifics. This scabbard may fit on your Austro-Hungarian Infantry sword that you showed with the Kindersabel.

Attachments

• Austrian officer sword.JPG
    Austrian officer sword.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Austrian officer sword scabbard.JPG
    Austrian officer sword scabbard.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Austrian officer sword hilt 2.JPG
    Austrian officer sword hilt 2.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 5
I believe the bottom scabbard is Austrian. This lower fixed ring and upper suspension band with an angled reverse slot is an Austrian design. Also notice the narrow drag. Look at M. Christian Ortner - Erich Artlieb, "With Drawn Sword, Austro=Hungarian Edged Weapons 1848-1918", for specifics. This scabbard may fit on your Austro-Hungarian Infantry sword that you showed with the Kindersabel.

Thanks! It does indeed fit the Austro-Hungarian sword, as well as a German made U.S. Civil War Light Cavalry saber and a pre-WW2 Czechoslovakian saber I have, all of which need scabbards.

I was hoping that it would be correct for one of them.

Back