JR. 94

USN

Good morning gentlemen,

I was hoping to get everyone's opinion on this piece, I have been hunting for a JR. 94 uniform for quote a while now to go with my MGK marked luger, while I am a tad bit hesitant considering this one has 3rd company shoulder buttons the liner also has me a bit concerned. The liner is void of stains and marks while the exterior seems to be riddled with moth tracks which luckily did not go all the way through the wool.

Many thanks,
USN

Hi,
Looks correct on the outside, not sure what the liners on these older uniforms (large buttons) should look like. Moths like wool, not linen, so I’m not concerned about the difference in wear.
3rd Cie. never fits MGK 😀
Regards,
Lars

Reactions: USN
Agree with above comment. It looks good from outside, for its age. You can see signs of wear,etc The inside lining is coresly woven it might indicate that it is very old patter. I would say pre 1880. However there should be some stamps visibled on it. Perhaps lining was modified or replaced at some time. A part of that looks good 👍
Regards,
Milosz

In my opinion the liner has been replaced at some point. No stamps or marking if it was issued, no tailors label if private purchase. Plus the liner is not consistent with the wear of the rest of the tunic. ( I don’t think I’ve seen a liner with that type of material.) Also MGK would have 13th Company shoulder buttons. But for the price it could be a placeholder until you find a nicer JR 94 tunic? Again, just my opinion.

I'm thinking I'll just let it go if it goes too much higher, I want a nice match to put my pistol and holster on. I appreciate the expertise and I'm on the same page thinking that the liner has been replaced. I'll just have to keep my eyes out.

It's all about condition and what works for the collector.

I wouldn't worry about the liner if you're just looking for an example from a specific Regiment.

I don't have to tell you how hard that can be. Sadly, the moth tracks are pretty bad, and I would also believe the liner to be an old replacement.

Whomever did the liner did a pretty good job IMO. If you're going to display it and the moth tracks aren't a deal breaker for you the liner will never be seen.

I would take a shot and like mentioned it could be a place keeper. Only you know how long you've been looking and who knows when the next one will show up. Sadly, maybe never. I hope it goes cheap for ya, Happy Easter.

Back