Kaiser Wilhelm II Kürassier Helme

Thank you Khukri, (y)
In fact, I bought my KR2 many years ago, at a flea market in Liège, when I was visiting Belgian and Dutch Limburg. It is then, that I discovered the history of the battle of the silver helmets, and the history of this regiment.
What a story! At a flea market...Great! We do not live at Halen. But...something very special: through our investigations for our book we made good friends. Both in Halen-where the Battle was fought-and in Pasewalk [the Königin Kürassier Regiments' garrison town!]. Halen and Pasewalk are twin towns/sister towns. Very special.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good questions Khukri, thank you. I'll be happy to answer them. ;)
---Concerning the attachment of the liner, all my schell from KR or JzPf have rivets with 2 folding tabs 1 to 1.5cm back behind the circle in strong leather, or large felt. (This applies to my M60, 62, 67, 89, 89/94 and even 1915).
The only exception is my Lachmann M15 from GKR.
For your information, here's a photo of 2 post-sides, for schell de Kurassier M94. They're massive, with a riveted pin behind the hull; then the rivet is soldered on with tin.
View attachment 40260
So the side posts only exist to attach the half-jugulars to each side. The liner is fixed by 2 rivets (square or rectangular heads most often, but sometimes round as on mine), located behind the 2 side posts. There's also an identical rivet at the front, behind the front plate, just above the visor, and a rear rivet, the head of which is under the first edge of the lobster tail.
Below, the welded post-side, and the rectangle drilled for the liner clip. (archive photo).
View attachment 40261
View attachment 40257
So only my Lachmann has one side-post per side. No rivet, behind the side-post in this case :
View attachment 40285

---With regard to the manufacturer's markings, mine are also marked on the hemmed edge of the visor. But there's nothing special about this manufacturer, as Clemen used to do the same on leather infantry helmets.
Note on the manufacturer's mark on the KR and JzPf schell: M60 to M89 were not marked, as far as I've been able to see. The M89/94 may be. Only the M15 schells are marked and dated, at the bottom of the hull (Juncker, Nachzigall, Israël etc...).
---The M1902 eagle is mounted in the 2 original holes of the old Linien-Kurassier eagle.View attachment 40263
---The M1902 eagle is mounted in the 2 original holes of the old Linien-Kurassier eagle.
View attachment 40265
Note not included :
My helmet has two remarkable originalities:
---The brass edge U is nickel-plated, as are the lobster tail rivets.
---The liner is not a rounded wolf's tooth,
but square.
Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
Clovis. Thank you for all these detailed pics! Providing interesting information!
Thank you!
Francis

The Kürassier Regiment "Königin" (Pommersches) Nr.2 had the Banderolle "Hohenfriedberg 4.Juni 1745"on their helmets. This banderolle/scroll was installed in 1845; for the centenary of the Battle.
-This Regiment's shiny metal helmets lend the name to "The Battle of the Silver Helmets"
12th August 1914. At Halen: in the East of Belgium.
-Our book is re-edited in April 2024. Paperback. Amazon.
Francis, I checked Amazon, the book is available from 31 march 2024.
I'll order it then, wanted it for a long time, but the time has come that it will be in my growing book collection too.

Regards, Coert.

I'll order it then, wanted it for a long time, but the time has come that it will be in my growing book collection too.

Regards, Coert.
That is good news Coert. Sure you will like this book!

Regards, Coert.
Can i know the title of the book?

Regards
Amy

June 2015.
Maybe so, I looked and i ordered is Dec 28, 2014. Maybe it was a pre-order when I learned of the book. IDK anymore for sure. I noticed the 2014 when I went to buy kindle version for ease of use.IMG_1446.jpeg

No, I was not "involved" in this book: Dutch. 400 pages. Luxury edition.
Looking forward.
-our book was used as reference.
By a retired Belgian Army Officer. He was Infantry: 1Cyclist Bn. "De Zwarte Duivels"-"The Black Devils". The men that stood and fought at Halen that 12th of August 1914!]. Honour to these brave men.
Author's email address is on the flyer.
[Ans yes...same book cover as ours]. Painting: The charge of the Leib Eskadron of the 1.Großherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Dragoner Regiment Nr.17 [Ludwigslust]. Led by Rittmeister von Kalnein.

Attachments

• Flyer.png
    Flyer.png
    398.8 KB · Views: 10
Back