Newly acquired Hessen helmets

Having mastered the 'standards' of each 'Land' in peacetime, I became fascinated by the 'Ersatz' of mobilisation. This obviously complicates things a great deal, and you have to distinguish between period equipment and contemporary knock-offs.

In France, your Entlisted helmet will sell for between €1,200 and €1,500. The original drilling for the Lion Hessois is a plus, but the lack of regimentation is a minus.

The artillery officer's helmet is rare and correct (no star for Hessian officers before the war). From the inside, it looks to me to be made of Vulkanfiber, and with a high ball, a poor quality sweatband, and red and green waxed canvas, this is a helmet made at the start of the war. The silk cape is missing. In France around €2,000-€2,500.

These are prices "between collectors", on forums, or "at the hammer" in auction rooms. For dealers such as Weitze, add €500.
Thank you so much for that information. I feel I got a very good deal from my friend for what I paid for all four items. Your knowledge on these is very impressive, and I greatly appreciate you sharing it with me! Best Regards, Ted

Thank you,
Yes, these photos cut through all the controversy. Having said that, we need to remain vigilant and distinguish between the tinkering of mobilisation and contemporary speculative schemes. When faced with this type of anomaly, we need to look at each case individually.

Thank you,
Yes, these photos cut through all the controversy. Having said that, we need to remain vigilant and distinguish between the tinkering of mobilisation and contemporary speculative schemes. When faced with this type of anomaly, we need to look at each case individually.

Being members here we are very aware at just how impressive and far the skills involved in the "repairing" and "restoration" of items has advanced over the years.

Unfortunately for every decent honest person like we have here that are involved in the repairing and restoration of items there are many times more out there who are in it for financial profit and to deceive and take advantage.

Being a serious collector and spending thousands in today's market you have to remain vigilant for sure as well as be one part collector and one-part detective. 🔍🔎

Last edited:
Hello,
This is my RBA18, ex Nassau (87&88JR) or Kurhessisches (80FR&81JR) because it was a former Prussian M95, recycled as a Hessian-Grand-Ducal M14.
Hessois M95 -14 RBA ex JR81.JPG

Prussian hull, from a Prussian regiment run by the B.A.XVIII, the point is a standard Prussian.
Hessois M95-14 RBA Jnstandrep.JPG

Note the black-painted tin Teller, as is often the case with Hessian helmets. The old holes for the Prussian eagle have been filled in, and new eyelets have been fitted for the Lion.
Hessois M95-14 RBA Instdbestg.JPGHessois M95-14 RBAInstandbtzg.JPG

Beautifully marked RBA 18 in ink (Reserve Beckleidungs Amt, Frankfurt am Main). Hessois M95-14 RBA.JPG

Mark J stamped, for Instandrepariert (idem Feldbrauchbar) and note the hook marks on the helmet cover. Hessois M95-14 RBA-J.JPG

Last edited:
Hello,
This is my RBA18, ex Nassau (87&88JR) or Kurhessisches (80FR&81JR) because it was a former Prussian M95, recycled as a Hessian-Grand-Ducal M14.
View attachment 43598

Prussian hull, from a Prussian regiment run by the B.A.XVIII, the point is a standard Prussian.
View attachment 43599

Note the black-painted tin Teller, as is often the case with Hessian helmets. The old holes for the Prussian eagle have been filled in, and new eyelets have been fitted for the Lion.
View attachment 43600View attachment 43601

Beautifully marked RBA 18 in ink (Reserve Beckleidungs Amt, Frankfurt am Main). View attachment 43602

Mark J stamped, for Instandrepariert (idem Feldbrauchbar) and note the hook marks on the helmet cover. View attachment 43603
That's a very nice helmet. It's unfortunate that neither one of my helmets are marked. But the one bonus is my helmet was manufactured for Hessen service as there are no extra holes. I was wondering about the legitimacy of the helmet until you wonderful gentlemen on here reassured me it was 100% authentic. Thank you!

Back