Opinions Mixed On Welsh Guards Now Being Allowed To Sport Facial Hair

We aren't there in the USA yet, but who knows -- with them lowering standards to attract recruits. The Army turns away at least a third of the recruits due to obesity, drug use, etc. I expect they will allow full tattoo "sleeves" before long. I am getting old, I guess. For 20 years, I had to comply with the Air Force's 35-10 regulations on grooming and uniforms. For me, it was no problem. I had short hair in college as well and earned the nickname "Straight" from friends.

It's worse in the Canadian Forces now. Hair and beards as long and messy as you want. I joined our Army Cadets when I was 15 (1977) and it took three haircuts before my hair was short enough. Been that way ever since. I used to joke about growing a mullet when I retired but now as soon as it starts touching my ears it bugs me. When I retired I did enjoy not having to shave though.

The navy has allowed 1 inch by 1 inch neck tattoos and the female sailors can do just about whatever they want. I'd love to be able to grow my beard out.

Back