Original Uniforms in Wear

Most reenactors are really meticulous and real sticklers for Historical Accuracy lucky they didn't notice you guys are Asian. :eek:

Only kidding you guys look great (y)(y)

At 6'2 and over 240 pounds I can't remember the last time I fit into an original uniform maybe as a young teen. I did recently add a nice Baden M15 to the collection that is a size 58 1/2 which would fit sound I ever get the urge ;)

Being my size you had to be either a high-ranking officer working behind the front lines, or you were just a big target :cry:

Most reenactors are really meticulous and real sticklers for Historical Accuracy lucky they didn't notice you guys are Asian. :eek:
Hi John,

That is indeed the most inaccurate part for our impressions lol. But interestingly, there were quite a number of Asians attached to German units in 1900s, 1910s; Chinese, Siamese etc. But that’s a different story, sometimes they would wear regimental uniforms or similar garments.

An example I have in my collection:

Best regards,
Jvpi

Last edited:
Hi John,

That is indeed the most inaccurate part for our impressions lol. But interestingly, there were quite a number of Asians attached to German units in 1900s, 1910s; Chinese, Siamese etc. But that’s a different story, sometimes they would wear regimental uniforms or similar garments.

An example I have in my collection:

Best regards,
Jvpi

Thanks for that Article, it was really interesting. (y)

I'm not sure if you've taken your fascination with German uniforms and equipment to the next level by learning German or not, I'm guessing yes but just in case I translated the part that talks about the Chinese officers wearing German Uniforms.

"While the Chinese previously prayed for the removal of European military personnel, they are now sending their officers to the West to learn. The Chinese first lieutenant Liao is currently assigned to the pioneer battalion No. 5, von Rauch in Spandau."

That certainly explains the photo.

I had a good friend who loved the American Civil War and used to come all the way to the USA every year and portray a Prussian Adviser at ACW reenactments here in the states.

You guys are definitely into it and living the fantasy, really cool impressions (y)
regards John Josef

Last edited:
Thanks for that Article, it was really interesting. (y)
Thank you, I'm always looking for more info regarding these men. Learning German will definitely make things much easier for me, I'm trying to learn how to read first. So far I know these Chinese officers were assigned to IR83, IR27, KR7, HR11, FAR43, PB5 and PB7. Unfortunately, the extraction above didn't give any info on Oblt. Zau. He probably was with one of the infantry regiments.
Living history is indeed fun. Hopefully one day we can produce top-quality repros so we can stop worrying about potential damage to our precious originals. ;)

Sorry but there is no information about Oblt Zau in the article just the photo.

There is a long tradition of foreign militaries studying and learning from what was at the time the Prussian gold standard in dress. drill and tactics.

I know as an American it was Friedrich Wilhelm Ludolf Augustin von Steuben or for short just Baron von Steuben who formed the Continental Army using Prussian drill and tactics into a fighting force capable of meeting the great British Army on the field. He is to be considered one of the founders of the Army of the United States. ;)

I have to say it's really interesting to think that China was sending its officers to study in Prussia. It would be interesting to see what impact these gentlemen had on the formation and modernization of the Chinese Army upon their return to China after their studies abroad.

It certainly makes for a rare, interesting and worthy topic for living history and farther study (y)
regards John Josef

I have to say it's really interesting to think that China was sending its officers to study in Prussia. It would be interesting to see what impact these gentlemen had on the formation and modernization of the Chinese Army upon their return to China after their studies abroad.

regards John Josef
The German military greatly influenced the modernised army of China's very late imperial period (1895-1911), both in its organization and their uniforms, equipment, weapons etc. But since the complexity of the early Chinese military is astounding, there were also influences from the Japanese & Russian military etc (Well TBH one can also discover German influences in these two lol). Unfortunately, the New Army was short-lived and soon transformed into the new Republic's army. Despite that, the German influence was still obvious. The Beiyang government continued sending students until they declared war on Germany in August 1917.
The western style uniforms introduced to the New Army were very Germanic, e.g. the 1905/1906/1911 regulations and the 1909 regulation for guard corps. There was a little-known full dress regulation introduced in the very last days of the empire, which contains a Pickelhaube like full dress helmet. This only existed on paper.

Last edited:
In addition to this, during the 1930s, China actually established relations with Nazi Germany to modernize their military. During this Sino-German Cooperation, China would send raw materials to Germany in exchange for German military advice, equipment, and vehicles. Germany sent thousands of M35 stahlhelms to China (one of the reasons why they kept using WWI helmets going into WWII) and even some Panzer I's!

Back