Prussiam EM

greg warren

I am new to these helmets, have collected nazi for 20 years, did i get ripped? please check completed ebay auction 6558426349 that went off yesterday, where can i get repro chin strap and cockcades?

Hi Greg,
Welcome to the forum, I think this helmet is a nice authentic Haube, and it has the added feature of being a rare large size. Most helmets were made for children, not as toys, but to wear in combat. If anyone tells you that you paid too much for it, you need respond that you did not pay too much, you just bought it too early (I think this is high for an M15, but I got mine for $19.50 so don't pay any attention to me). You should not have any trouble selling it for the same or more, so to answer your first question, "no" you did not get ripped. I have not searched for Kockarden or chin straps recently, but they are out there, and hopefully another member will be able to answer that question.
Best wihses
Gus

thank you very much for the info, any more comments, i would appreiate it, what do you mean by i bought it too early?

Hi Greg,
To say that you bought it too early is a way to say that you did not pay too much. I think the price was resonable, but if any one tells you you paid too much, you need only wait a few months, and the going price will be much higher. If I am honest, I would have run you up a bit if I did not already have a nice M15 Haube. The large sized Hauben will always comand a good price as long as there are re-enactors. They are buying reproductions for about what you paid (sometimes more) so they can get a helmet that is a wearable size. This Haube appeals to me as a collector of OR equipment, it shows honest wear, it is in above average condition and the lack of chin strap and Kockarden is normal, as the chin straps were removed during the war to put on the Stahlhelm, with out the chin straps, the Kockarden were lost.
Best wishes
Gus

gustave, i found some repro parts in rex redicks catalog, i know this sounds bad but how can i make a repro strap look the age of the helmet for display, i have several ww2 helmets that show age and have brand new straps on them and its looks bad

you can get original straps at https://www.weitze.net/

they have a imperial equipment section and they have plenty of that stuff, and I would recomend getting orignal stuff because it not only looks better but its original and its only like 20 euro or something liek that so its not expensive.

i really do not like dealing overseas, i have lost money already in germany

Mike, Where are the original chinstraps on the weitze site? I have been trwling through the site but I can't find any.

Anyone know of other sources for kokarden and chinstraps?

Mike

Hi Greg,
Weiotze is a very honest dealer, and 20 euros is very good price. not much more than repro. Also, it will increase the value of your helmet where a repro will not. I am not good a gaeing leather, there are ways, but I have not tryed them.
Best wishes
Gus

Yea but they jsut updadted their website so they could of been sold, you could also try regimentals.co.uk, greatwar.com, manions.com they all usually have the orignal stuff.

Oh yea and ill post my collection the weekend of the 22nd, that will be the next time im home, the website was down the last time i was.

Hi Greg,
20 euros for a chinstrap is cheap, if you find, buy it. I have a French friend who hand made chinstraps for me, good ones, but US$ 40.
Otto

Greg,
I think you got a great buy on that helmet, looks in excellent condition. I owuld have bought it myself if I didn't already have a minty Prussian M1915. I agree with the previous comments - find original parts and you will add at least the cost of the parts to the value of the helmet, especially with a nice piece like you just bought.

mike

Hi Greg,

Welcome aboard.

I wouldn't be shy about your new helmet, it is a good, sound piece.

If you are looking for parts, you might like to check out:

http://stores.ebay.com/Kaiserzeit-Military-Antiques

Cheers,

Laurie

Hi Gus,

Thanks, good to see you're hard at it as always. I clearly haven't got the hang of signing in properly, yet.

Old dog, new tricks and all that.

Cheers,

Laurie

Hi Gus,

What's the trick to have automatic sign-in? I click the box next to the username/password when I sign in, but it always ignores me.

Cheers,

Laurie

Back