Question Pickelhaube

I've never seen one like it. I'm gonna say that it is probably not German, in fact I am quite sure its not German/Germanic, other than that, there I little I can tell on this helmet, it alludes me aswell as it does you. It could possibly be Nordic, and It would be mid 19th century, 1840s or 1850s, that is assuming its real, witch it may not be. Good luck getting info on this.

Without hesitation, a fine M1848 helmet from the Berlin Schutzmannschaft (the first model M1854 when it was created in 1848). Answer, from memory. I'm looking in my archives to flesh out my answer. Rare and superb. Congratulations.

Last edited:
On reflection, this needs to be explored further. The helmet on its own, with its lion's heads on the sides and the 3-festoon chinstrap, reminds me of a Bavarian Burgerwehr helmet.
The front plate is indeed that of the Berlin Police, before the 50 years (1848-1898) commemorative banner was affixed.
I need to check that there are no double holes behind the plate, as I can see traces of another plate.

Bay M53  Z2 Bürgwehr 1450€.GIF

Pol Berlin M48 exBurgerwehr.GIF
.Je vais rechercher, mais cette trace me rappelle la gendarmerie du Schwerin.

Pol Berlin plaques.jpg

To follow...;)

Last edited:
Without hesitation, a fine M1848 helmet from the Berlin Schutzmannschaft (the first model M1854 when it was created in 1848). Answer, from memory. I'm looking in my archives to flesh out my answer. Rare and superb. Congratulations.
I'm excited to see what you serch out :)

This is Karl Teike, composer of German Military Marches. He was a musician in the Berlin police "band" after 1898, and therefore bears the second front plate with the fiftieth anniversary banner. It was he who imported the Bavarian motto "In Treue Fest" for this plaque. Pol Berlin Carl Teike.jpg

Here's his successor, from 1867 to 1918.Here, with the side posts and leather chinstrap, it's an M91 or 95. Some police officers went to war with this helmet.

Pol. Berlin (JP KZ17).jpg
Indeed, the major police stations in the big cities have enrolled several thousand officers for the front. This was the case not only in Berlin, but also in Hamburg ...
Pol mobilisé.jpg

Last edited:
I've never seen one like it. I'm gonna say that it is probably not German, in fact I am quite sure its not German/Germanic, other than that, there I little I can tell on this helmet, it alludes me aswell as it does you. It could possibly be Nordic, and It would be mid 19th century, 1840s or 1850s, that is assuming its real, witch it may not be. Good luck getting info on this.
I've found this picture. Firefighter Berlin 1851. They wore the same helmet as the Schutzmannschaft.

Feuerman 1851.jpg

I've found this picture. Firefighter Berlin 1851. They wore the same helmet as the Schutzmannschaft.

View attachment 43876
Indeed, the same helmet. It was the red piping on the firefighters' helmets and the blue or silver piping on the policemen's helmets that made it easy to tell them apart. But as far as the firefighters were concerned, the spiked helmet was not a "fire" helmet, but a ceremonial helmet.

Yes, the first style of plate without the commemorative banner would be the one worn on the first helmet shown in this thread. Assuming it is not a replacement, and is the original plate, the form on the helmet is correct for the Berlin Police of that time period.

Attachments

• Berlin helm.JPG
    Berlin helm.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 8
Amazing helmet 👏👏 very, very rare. Never seen one like that. Great info and explanation to the topic. Thanks group for sharing 👍

Back