100 years ago- The Stahlhelm

Khukri

http://www.mdr.de/zeitreise/weitere-epochen/zwanzigstes-jahrhundert/geschichte-stahlhelm-deutschland-100.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

poniatowski said:
Cool! Thanks for posting that. Most functional / best looking steel helmet of the war.

I might have to disagree with you Ron. While the German helmet did its job we can't forget that the French and British helmets were designed for defensive situations where low velocity shrapnel was as much a factor as high velocity bullets. The German helmet was clearly meant for an offense, even if it did include features like the ability to add a front plate.

The American designs - including the Model 5 - proved quite effective and could have been as functional as the German model. I tend to dismiss the working theory that the experimental helmets were rejected for looking like a German helmet. At various times armies wore almost identical headgear, so I think this statement - which goes back mostly to Dr. Bashford Dean - is simplistic. Yes, it is true none of the experimental helmets were adopted, but for helmet designers an unfortunate event occurred on November 11, 1918 when the war ended. With that so too did the U.S. military's need for a new helmet.

joerookery said:
which goes back mostly to Dr. Bashford Dean - is simplistic.
Don't get me started on the academia bias. Somebody in academia says something and like groupthink suddenly the praises of Allah are upon him.

Joe, I do need to add that Dean was the source of the "soup bowl" story where a French soldier wore a soup bowl and it convinced General Adrian that a helmet would be a good idea! I've done my best in articles to debunk it but I still see it pop up from time to time. The funny thing is no French collector I've spoken to ever heard the story. I suspect Dean either misunderstood the story, where soldiers hated the skull cap and may have used it for other things like a mess bowl; or just made it up as it was a colorful story.

It has been since revealed the French military actually was studying the type of helmets that would provide protection decades before the outbreak of the war. Not to mention the fact that the cavalry was already wearing helmets.

Finally, I will add that collectors tales have tainted the study too. I've seen too many examples where a theory becomes fact and gospel as well!

Having come from a metal stamping back ground I sometimes think that the manufactory cost had something to do with the design choices. The German helmet required heaver tools and equipment to produce as well as more production time.

Back