115th Hessen RBA18 Pickelhaube

Have you purchased this or are you wanting to buy it?

I’m no expert like many of the people on this forum.

For me it looks good. But the chin strap or at least the leather seems to be replaced. Originals chin straps are dyed only on one side.

For me it looks good. But the chin strap or at least the leather seems to be replaced. Originals chin straps are dyed only on one side.
The strap appears old and worn enough to be original, although rather thin. Perhaps officer leather straps were of finer quality than enlisted men's straps?

That is a very nice example of a JR 115, congratulations! Mine like yours is also marked RBA 18. I don’t have a problem with the chin strap….. I see fine buckles with rounded edges which are typical of originals. Regarding Sandy’s comment about it being dyed on both sides this could be the result of sweat causing the dye to bleed through. I would carefully check the back side of the strap where it is bent over the buckles and stitched. You may see that the strap was not dyed on the reverse. I also note that your wappen appears to have screw posts, not loops which indicates an older wappen put on a newer helmet. This is not unusual so no problem there. Again 👍

That is a very nice example of a JR 115, congratulations! Mine like yours is also marked RBA 18. I don’t have a problem with the chin strap….. I see fine buckles with rounded edges which are typical of originals. Regarding Sandy’s comment about it being dyed on both sides this could be the result of sweat causing the dye to bleed through. I would carefully check the back side of the strap where it is bent over the buckles and stitched. You may see that the strap was not dyed on the reverse. I also note that your wappen appears to have screw posts, not loops which indicates an older wappen put on a newer helmet. This is not unusual so no problem there. Again 👍
Brian,

Thanks for the appreciation of my helmet and the quality of your comment. (y)

Here are some other images of my helmet. As you can see, loops were affixed to the rear of the wappen.

thumbnail_DSC_1952.jpgthumbnail_DSC_1954.jpgthumbnail_DSC_1956.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent looped wappen, very nice. You are very lucky to have that original kokarde and strap, I had to put reproductions on mine as they were missing when I bought the helmet.

Great hint with the bleeding dye caused by the sweat, I again learned something :)
A beautiful helmet indeed. Did you buy it or want to buy FRONTENAC?

Great hint with the bleeding dye caused by the sweat, I again learned something :)
A beautiful helmet indeed. Did you buy it or want to buy FRONTENAC?
Yes, we keep learning and it's great. Thanks Brian. (y)

To answer your question, this helmet is part of my collection.

Last edited:
No problems with this LGR115 helmet.
The "M15 pattern" of the pre-war helmets that were stamped with "JR115".
Those with RBA18 stamped helmets are more common than the JR115, it seems they have never been worn at the front and that a lot of them were discovered by American troops in a german warehouse in Hessen.
Philippe

Hi,

First of all, I wish you a very Happy New Year 2023.

I would like to ask you a question about my LGR115 helmet. If we look at it, can we say that it was in use from 1897 to 1915?

Back