13th Uhlan Regiment Part 2

Here are some photos that show the lance. It's a WKC made in the 1890's for export to Argentina supposedly to the Imperial Cav model. At a minimum the lance head is different, the German lance-heads looked more like a spike. The handle is broken off on this one and replaced with the rope wrap.
IMG_9630.JPG
IMG_9633.JPG
IMG_9631.JPG

Some detail of the officer's Ulanka showing the Rittmeister's epaulettes
IMG_9537.JPG

Bob you have a marvelous display. Like any collector my eyes are immediately drawn to the items I have been searching for: the Cavalry saddle wallets, belly straps, and saber hanger. After years of looking though, I have given up.

Same for the G88 Commission Rifle. 30+ years I have looked for one here in Canada. Nothing but Turkish re-issue which I won't do.

Always nice to see a display themed to one Regiment, and you picked a tough one' UR13 Ulanka are relatively common, but Tschapka and Mützen near impossible to find.

It looks great! :bravo:

Tony without Kaiser said:
Bob you have a marvelous display. Like any collector my eyes are immediately drawn to the items I have been searching for: the Cavalry saddle wallets, belly straps, and saber hanger. After years of looking though, I have given up.

Same for the G88 Commission Rifle. 30+ years I have looked for one here in Canada. Nothing but Turkish re-issue which I won't do.

Always nice to see a display themed to one Regiment, and you picked a tough one' UR13 Ulanka are relatively common, but Tschapka and Mützen near impossible to find.

It looks great! :bravo:

Thanks Tony! (and everyone else who has provided kind words). Believe it or not I picked up all those saddle accessories on ebay within the last year and a half or so. They are out there! The saddle and one of the sets of girth straps are marked to the 2nd Uhlan Regiment though they came from different vendors. The 13th UR kind of picked me through family ties. (my screen icon is a photo of my 2nd great-grandfather circa 1880). Lots of stuff still to find! But that's part of what makes collecting fun. I wanted to thank you for creating and maintaining the "Kaiser Bunker" website. That was one of the first references I found when I began getting into collecting the Imperial Militaria and remains a valuable resource today.

Cheers
Bob

I don't see the G88 in any of the photos. The only rifle/carbine that I see appears to be an 11mm M1871 Carbine. The Gew88 Commission rifle and the carbine KAR88 both incorporated a Mannlicher type magazine. Both had a stub nosed barrel and a turned down bolt but the 1871 did not use the Mannlicher magazine.
Please correct me if I'm wrong; is that an 11mm M1871?

Absolutely fantastic collection and a wonderful display!

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Johm its not a Gew88 Commission rifle?

No, it's not.
Model 1888 Commission carbine:

G1rZCGy.jpg

Model 1871 (sometimes labeled M1871/74) carbine:

aSauZDW.jpg

The Model 1871 rifle and carbine were 11mm.
The Gew88 was 8mm. The 8mm round used in the Gew88 was NOT the same as the newer 8mm Mauser round. 8mm Mauser is ,323, but the Gew88 used a .318. Many of the Model 88's were rebored to fit the larger 8mm Mauser round and these rifles were then stamped with an "S" , meaning "super", to indicate that they could be used safely with the larger bullet. Even if a Model 88 is stamped with the "S" it is not wise to use some of the modern surplus "Hot" rounds that are so plentiful on the market.
I have a Model 88, matched numbers, original and rebored, stamped with an "S". I'll try to post it on the forum soon.
The 88 rifles are common and usually cheap., BUT, like all guns anymore, they are a pain in the ass to buy and ship.

John :)

So it is. My mistake.

Which is hilarious as there is a Model 1871 carbine in my Bunker. A as I stated though, a G88 is near impossible to find here in Canada.

So it is. My mistake.

Which is hilarious as there is a Model 1871 carbine in my Bunker. A as I stated though, a G88 is near impossible to find here in Canada.

Tony,
I just saw an ad for a gun broker who had 50+ of these that he was selling at a 65% reduction in price. These are cheap to begin with, so he must have been giving them away. I see them around quite often in differing states of repair, but I could keep you posted on availability. I would sell you the one I have if I could get it to Canada. Getting guns in Arizona is easy; shipping them, storing them, transporting them, and selling them is not.
Are you looking for a Gew88 or a Kar88?
I used to own a Gew71, 11mm, but couldn't turn down an offer from a Mauser collector, so it's now gone.

SkipperJohn said:
So it is. My mistake.

Tony,
I just saw an ad for a gun broker who had 50+ of these that he was selling at a 65% reduction in price. These are cheap to begin with, so he must have been giving them away. I see them around quite often in differing states of repair, but I could keep you posted on availability. I would sell you the one I have if I could get it to Canada. Getting guns in Arizona is easy; shipping them, storing them, transporting them, and selling them is not.
Are you looking for a Gew88 or a Kar88?
I used to own a Gew71, 11mm, but couldn't turn down an offer from a Mauser collector, so it's now gone.

You are correct sir! That is a carbine version of the M71 rifle.

John that is kind, but you cannot ship a firearm into Canada. Impossible for citizens. Only possible for it's smuggled in, taped inside a car fuel tank or something which is how they get in.

Just to show you Bob that I am not actually mad. Just confused.

Please note the unit markings on the butt plate to these Dragoner http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh28.htm

dbe15g.jpg

dbe15f.jpg

Back