150th Birthday IR75 Bremen M1860

SkipperJohn

The free city of Bremen adopted the use of the Pickelhaube in 1850. It was a Model 1842 and had a Wappen with a Saxony style star and the Bremen crest mounted on it. One of the earliest examples can be seen in Jan K. Kube's book Militaria, copyright 1990. An officer's helmet of the Bremen Volunteer Infantry can be seen on page 31, photo 161. Bremen had a limited military, and from 1860 until 1866 Bremen fielded only one battalion of Fusiliers. The headgear of this battalion resembled a kepi or shako. In 1866 the Infantrie Regiment Bremen (1 Hanseatisches) Nr. 75 was formed and it was active from 1866 until 1918. When the regiment was formed only the first and second battalions were actually manned by Bremen, the third battalion was Prussian, as were most of the officer's and NCO's. This helmet is stamped with the Kammer Mark IR75 and is dated 1866.

brhQM6L.jpg

By all indications the helmet has been cut down from an earlier version, probably an M42, but still stands an amazing 11.5 inches tall.

2AOwtGk.jpg

There is some damage on the left side of the helmet that shows a period repair. The leather chin scale mount has been resewn and a few stitches of what appears to be cat gut or rawhide have been used to reinforce the repair. This damage and subsequent repair may be what saved this helmet from being further cut down and made into a Model 1867. The helmet has a small crease but no tears in the leather shell.

JCxzjCQ.jpg

The rear spine shows the two standard brads indicative of an M60 or a later Dragoon helmet.

K3gRARy.jpg

The interior liner has a tear in one place but is otherwise intact. All of the fasteners are the "nut with handle" type except for the one on the neck guard. That one is without handle, but is about three times as thick as one that would be found on a M95.

wojLCKG.jpg

There is a metal reinforcement plate on the inside of the helmet similar to what would be found on an M95. I don't know if this was added when the helmet was cut down, or when the helmet was repaired by the BKA, or if it is later. It is aged and looks like it has sat in the same location for decades, or centuries. I have never seen an interior metal spike base reinforcement plate on an M60 before.

LWbxSYK.jpg

The Kammer Mark is IR75 and the date is 18@6, which I assume is 1866 because no other date makes sense. The marks are readable, but try as I might, I cannot get a good photograph of them. There is a name inscribed above the IR75. This is the best I can do:

DD24FYU.jpg

The Wappen is standard Prussian and is stamped out of heavy gauge brass, as compared to an M95. I dislike removing this Wappen, but the one time that I did, I found that the reverse of the Wappen was exactly like the reverse of the Oldenburg Wappen shown on Tony's website. Of course this one doesn't have the Oldenburg crest or the bent clip fasteners, but the stamping is identical. That makes sense because Bremen and Oldenburg are not very far apart and they would have likely shared the same manufacturer.

zeXgGfW.jpg

Now is where it gets sticky. The Kokarde is original and measures 56mm. It is flat instead of convex, which is typical for Bremen, and it has the Hanseatic Maltese cross. The cross is stamped into the Kokarde and not just painted on. The Maltese cross was used by Bremen until 1897 when the Kokarde switched to a white serrated disc with a red ring. There is evidence that this helmet had a 75mm Kokarde at one time, probably before it was cut down. There is absolutely no evidence that a Kokarde ever sat on the left side of this helmet. In 1867 a black and white Prussian Kokarde was to be placed on the right side of the helmet and the Bremen Kokarde was to be moved to the left. There is no indication that this happened. This seems common. Joe has posted a couple of photos on this forum that show Hanseatic Kokarden on the "wrong" side as late as 1915.

4Rw5EOo.jpg

I say "Happy Birthday" to my 150 year old friend as he celebrates with an old comrade and Brother in Arms.

gnqV6CK.jpg

John :)

those are beauty's
this is the first time to see those high ones
for being that old they look awsome

jonas

Excellent post John and congrats on a rare old beauty. Regarding pics....the best ones are shot outside on a cloudy day which eliminates shadows. You can also use a light box if you want to stay inside. To my knowledge all of the Kaiser's Bunker pics were taken outside on a cloudy day on Tony's back deck. He does use a background cloth. Following T's example, I use the same conditions/method for photography

pickelhauben said:
Great helmet .

I need to start re doing my pics.

I have over 3,000 out and I just don't feel like doing it.

I know how you feel. This is the second time I've tried to go through an entire update.
It is a shame that sites like photobucket and picorator have damaged our forum so severely.

John :(

Hello
Just to say that this wappen is not conform to the 1860 helmet because it is a 1871posterior model
The "good" model is the M1860 wappen with a different design of the head and especially the presence of two feathers at the base of the tail instead of three like this;
Regards

2ntl25t.jpg

2e22p9g.jpg

The three tail feathers in a "vVv" configuration started in 1867. The "vvv" configuration did not come about until later. More can be found on this website:

http://www.terraculturae.com/

This is not the normal Wappen that would be seen on an M1860 helmet. As I mentioned in my original post, this helmet is dated 1866. I also mentioned:

There is some damage on the left side of the helmet that shows a period repair. The leather chin scale mount has been resewn and a few stitches of what appears to be cat gut or rawhide have been used to reinforce the repair. This damage and subsequent repair may be what saved this helmet from being further cut down and made into a Model 1867. The helmet has a small crease but no tears in the leather shell.

Since the Austro-Prussian War occurred in 1866 and the Franco-Prussian War occurred in 1870 - 1871, this helmet could have seen action in either conflict. Just because a Model 1867 existed during the Franco-Prussian War does not mean that all soldiers, in every contingent involved, were issued one. It took time to field new equipment, especially to contingents. It wasn't like buying a new iPhone.

Also, since my helmet has a spike support disc, which I have not seen on helmets until the Model 1867, I assume that the damage to the helmet occurred during the time of the Franco-Prussian War. It would stand to reason that the BKA, or whatever it was called then, would have used what was available to make the repair. With a helmet dated 1866, unless it was damaged almost immediately, the likely replacement Wappen would be from a Model 1867.
I know that someone is going to bring up that this Wappen is held on with screws and not sliders. Sliders were not adopted by all contingents. What the Prussians did was not adopted by all German States, Kingdoms, and Duchies. Anhalt is another example.

Since the world then was not the "throw away" place that it is now, we have seen that helmets were cut down, modified, resewn, had holes plugged, had replacement parts of all types, etc, just to keep them in service. I believe that this helmet was damaged during the time of the Franco-Prussian War, the BKA of Bremen decided to repair it, and it was repaired with what was on hand.

This helmet has seen action, did not come back unscathed, and was rebuilt with what was available --- just like me.

John :)

Excellent example Bernard and spot-on John for your explanation of helmets having their use extended by repair or refurbishment. Great helmet. :thumbright:

Excellent example Bernard and spot-on John for your explanation of helmets having their use extended by repair or refurbishment. Great helmet. :thumbright:

Back