1850 Baden Mannschaften Helmet Spike

Nacuaa

According to Larcade, Baden introduced a Prussian style helmet with the squared visor and a spike in 1850. Has anyone seen a photo or know if this spike was plain or whether it was fluted for the ordinary ranks infantry helmet? Every photo of this Baden helmet I have seen is an officer helmet and the spike is distinctively fluted. I can't find anything on the ordinary ranks helmet spike. Thank you!

Hi: Attached are two photos that I have accumulated over the years of what appear to be early pre 1867 Baden pickelhaubes with fluted spikes that do not have officer stars on the spike base. Unsure of the date of either of the helmets, but the lack of stars suggests they are ordinary ranks helmets. Hopefully this is of help to you.

Attachments

• 2000.jpg
    2000.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 3580.jpg
    3580.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 20
Impressive pieces. They also have the standard perlring for an enlisted man. Very interesting! Here are examples of early Baden helmets with plain spikes I have in my files. One seems to be "parts" helmet so not sure if it is correct. The other is a member's helmet discussed elsewhere here and is a unique transitional piece from the shako for the 109th - an amazing piece. Finally I spotted an artillery helmet that has the ball for example but otherwise a standard helmet base unlike these examples suggesting a shift to basic spike base (and otherwise spike?). Also a pioneer helmet. Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Baden 1842 Helmet 1.jpg
    Baden 1842 Helmet 1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 4911_e61dfea8680f36b9fd1cb102143ee485.jpg
    4911_e61dfea8680f36b9fd1cb102143ee485.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 20
  • Baden Artillery Helmet.jpg
    Baden Artillery Helmet.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 205908.jpg
    205908.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Impressive pieces. They also have the standard perlring for an enlisted man. Very interesting! Here are examples of early Baden helmets with plain spikes I have in my files. One seems to be "parts" helmet so not sure if it is correct. The other is a member's helmet discussed elsewhere here and is a unique transitional piece from the shako for the 109th - an amazing piece. Finally I spotted an artillery helmet that has the ball for example but otherwise a standard helmet base unlike these examples suggesting a shift to basic spike base (and otherwise spike?). Thank you!!!
Rastatt should have examples of Baden helmets
Steve

Thank you! The artillery helmet is in the Ratstatt book that Herbert turned us on to. I'll look on line as well.

Impressive pieces. They also have the standard perlring for an enlisted man. Very interesting! Here are examples of early Baden helmets with plain spikes I have in my files. One seems to be "parts" helmet so not sure if it is correct. The other is a member's helmet discussed elsewhere here and is a unique transitional piece from the shako for the 109th - an amazing piece. Finally I spotted an artillery helmet that has the ball for example but otherwise a standard helmet base unlike these examples suggesting a shift to basic spike base (and otherwise spike?). Also a pioneer helmet. Thank you!!!
You're welcome. I found another, which appears to be a later model than the previous two, that also has the basic spike.

Attachments

• s-l1600m52.jpg
    s-l1600m52.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 5
Ok... hmmm... seems to be some variance then. This one looks like its possibly trimmed down from an M1850 tall helmet but the plate is the M1850. The first two you sent look like two different heights as well so theoretically there are both fluted and plain spikes in use. Maybe a regimental difference and/or the Baden army had some variable transitional issues. Thanks again, this information is very helpful.

It looks like the fluted spike was an issued spike so there are a few mysteries with some of these other helmets. The one with silver fittings and the plain spike maybe a Leib-Grenadier.

Attachments

• Baden (19).jpg
    Baden (19).jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 5
As far as I know, the Baden Pickelhauben of the infantry had a ball instead of the spike until around 1850 and until the introduction of the M1867 the spikes were fluted, afterwards smooth. Until the M1867, the Pickelhauben generally had a cross fitting as a spikebase, but with the M1867 the round spikebase was introduced.

Last edited:
Hey that's great. Thank you so much! I am glad to have the color photo of the artillery helmet. By the way Herbert clarified for me that the Baden M1850 fluted spike has five panels rather than the usual six that you see on officer and Bavarian models.

Hey that's great. Thank you so much! I am glad to have the color photo of the artillery helmet. By the way Herbert clarified for me that the Baden M1850 fluted spike has five panels rather than the usual six that you see on officer and Bavarian models.
That are very interesting information, I never paid attention to the number of flutes. It's cool that you never seem to stop learning in this hobby :)

Back