1870's Prussian Garde Officer

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
This helmet was given to me for a front visor restitch when I was at the SOS. It is in excellent condition and a great example of this 1870's style of helmet as shown in JL Larcade's book on Infantry Helmets.
IMG_3910.jpegThe helmet shows the classic 1870's characteristics.....short officer spike and flat officer star. This looks more like an OR's star than the 1890's bulbous stars we often see.
IMG_3911.jpeg
Once the visor threads break the eagle tail feathers typically are thrust downward and cause a dent in the leading edge of the visor. The visor has been taken off, hydrated and pinned to a head form to remove this.
IMG_3913.jpeg
Being an 1870's model, this piece has only one Prussian officer kokarde. You can also see the classic domed shape of the shell, again 1870's.
IMG_3912.jpeg
No Reichs kokarde. Unfortunately, the screw post which secures the top of the spine to the shell has been lost to time.
IMG_3915.jpeg
And again, an excellent example of the officer liner used between 1842 and 1880. No red/green lining to the visors and thick cast brass nuts securing the spike to the shell.

IMG_3914.jpeg
The spine is plain and very similar to the 1890's OR version but no vent of course. I will post a couple of photos of the restitch in a few days.

Will you be doing something about the white enamel in the star .there seems to be a flake missing if i 've seen it correctly
Its definitly one that pops into your eyes when looking at it

No Kaiser, the enamel will remain as is. This is very common with Garde star enamel and I do not know of any way to fix it. The entire star would have to be taken apart even to get at it.

I've read someware how the procedure works and they even showed it in a film .it looked fairly easy , but my guess is when you start it it will be nerv-wrecking and soon regreting it why begun with it in the first place😅😅

Regards

Jonas

Yes, it is in very good condition for it's age. There has been some shrinkage and this is why we see the spine screw post missing and there is a slight dent in the spine where it has flattened out.

It's a helmet of an officer of the 2 Foot Guard Regiment Model 1871.
---The 1867 model, worn during the Franco-Prussian war, had no rear vertical ring and the chinstrap was fixed by a slotted head screw, visible on the rosette.
---This is not a Guard Grenadier officer's helmet, as these had no Garde-Stern until 1889 they had the Garde-Adler, without the Garde-Stern in the center. And as you say, the liner is 'alter Art', (in guilloche sheepskin, with square teeth) until 1880-85. So it is indeed an officer's helmet M1871, of the only gold-trimmed Foot Guard regiment (like the GGR, but with the Stern-Guard), i.e. the 2nd Guard-Infantry-Regiment zu Fuß
The M71 "officer" will last until the M15 except for the peatk height and the liner with sweatband and silk canvas bottom.

Attachments

• PB14 0ff M67 Z1- VilleyStEtienne22.JPG
    PB14 0ff M67 Z1- VilleyStEtienne22.JPG
    914.3 KB · Views: 12
  • CIMG7997.JPG
    CIMG7997.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
On the other hand, your neck cover is not for an officer but for the troops. On the officer's helmet, the leather is always finer, necessarily lined with fine red sheepskin, with a fine sewn leather band. And this from the 1842 model for officers. Here the neck cover is not of the superior quality required for an officer.
Ditto, the rear vertical rod is for a simple soldier. The officer's rod is bordered by a fine edging on each side.

Attachments

• 0ff coiffe alter Art av1880.GIF
    0ff coiffe alter Art av1880.GIF
    158.3 KB · Views: 11
  • M60 0ff_.jpg
    M60 0ff_.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Général   M42.jpg
    Général M42.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 95R 0ff Laurent3.jpg
    95R 0ff Laurent3.jpg