1890 GFR Helmet

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I have had this helmet for decades. It is clearly marked GFR 1890 on the rear visor and has all the characteristics of an early GFR OR helmet.....old style square tip liner, non vented spine and removable spike top for the black parade trichter. Originally being accepted into stores in 1890 it probably had bolt on scales but it has been pierced for M91's. It had no side posts when I bought it unfortunately and as a young collector I did put some chromed police tschako posts on it but I believe now that it deserves to be put right. Unfortunately, for some reason there is an extra set of holes behind the wappen. However, one can not deny the correct "GFR 1890" ink stamp nor the fit of the fittings and the other characteristics mentioned. There is also a cloth laundry tag glued to the front of the shell...see photo. I welcome comments.
1B4D9337-1FD2-4352-9449-D0747999BF88_1_201_a.jpeg
50EA16D1-0B14-4A11-AD21-8ACDBFFB8A24_1_201_a.jpeg
Unvented rear spine.
F978967E-50B1-468D-9F9E-1C756946A66A_1_201_a.jpeg
A higher dome to the shell and larger visors than an M95.
6BBD60DF-588B-4392-B370-5181592C492D_1_201_a.jpeg
Old style square tipped liner showing a bit of white mold but no tears or missing fingers. I will deal with the mold, no problem!
097A4DCD-9EEA-4101-8FCA-EC803D176CF6_1_201_a.jpeg
A killer Regt. marking and typical of GFR. I am presently working on a GFR from the UK and it has the same ink stamp.
A790BA96-60B6-4FEA-88DC-8F3E612FC1C1_1_201_a.jpeg
Any information on Pelckmann would be much appreciated. 8th Company. Evidence also of tin washers having been used...long enough to have stained the shell.

Very nice, Brian and well worth putting right. Now I see why you posted a request for neusilber side posts!
All the best
Michael

Brian,
First, thank you for posting this GFR pickelhaube, it is one of my favorite Imperial German Regiments because of my many years stationed in West Berlin and the WWI EK 2nd C documents I have for one of its men, but I will save that story for another posting,
As far as the second set of holes in it, the helmet may have come to the unit with those original sets of openings from the factory or central supply houses. Therefore when the supply section received it, the staff made the modifications because it was simpler than sending it back and waiting for a replacement. I notice that it lacks the KBAG stamp sp to may have been a local purchase. This hypothesis is a SWAG based on how I have seen how the US Army operates for most of my life.
I look forward to seeing you put it right as far as restoration. This helmet is another example of an OYV using a unit-supplied helmet and not purchasing a pickelhaube privately. I will see what I can find out about Pelkmann using my past research from my GFR EK 2nd CL document.
Best regards,
John

Thanks very much for your comments John hopefully, you are able to find some additional information on Pelkmann. That would be really exciting.

hopefully, you are able to find some additional information on Pelkmann.
Unfortunately, not a single soldier with the name PELCKMANN in the whole lists 1914-18 (Verlustlisten)...
As we have here a quite old helmet, probably a M87 (dated 1890) cut down to a M91 (back spine without vent), Mr PECKMANN, probably born 1870-1875, was certainly Landsturm during WWI, if he has ever been mobilized...
Philippe

;)

Brian,

it would appear that Herr Pelckmann neither aspired to or qualified for a reserve or Landwehr commission. No individual of that name was ever commissioned into the either the Garde-Füsilier-Regiment nor the Garde-Füsilier-Landwehr-Regiment. in fact no individual of that name received a line officers’ commission in the early to mid 1890s In the Prussian army.

Regards
Glenn

The helmet was bought decades ago from a local dealer who had a reputation for "fixing things". He later lost his tables at the MAX due to the discovery of such things as re plating medals, adding on patches and insignia to tunics etc. I did buy some very nice helmets from him which I still have but one had to be careful when purchasing. He passed almost 20 years ago. The cloth laundry patch could very well be an add on to make the helmet more attractive for sale. My thanks to all who looked for information.

Thanks very much for your comments John hopefully, you are able to find some additional information on Pelkmann. That would be really exciting.
Brian,
As others surmised, there were quite a few Pelkmann's, 16 in fact that were wounded or killed, in Ancestry.com various lists from German Archives in the multiple units that fought in the First World War. However, none served in the GFR, and only one was an NCO. One of the interesting things that I found on the lists I searched, there were a lot of OYV listed; of those listed, a number of them held NCO ranks in various units. Therefore, the only possibility of identifying this gentleman would be to find a prewar unit roster from when Pelkmann initially served that listed his first name.
Still, you have a great helmet that is worth revitalizing to continue to keep in your collection or pass on to another Pickelhaube collector [Hint... Hint :cool:] Again, thank you for posting it.
Best regards,
John

Back