1913 7th JzP with markings

Pontrest

I just received this helmet yesterday. I know... I have a helmet problem...

This prewar example is nicely unit marked on the rim. I could use some help with the 2.1... I know Jaeger zu Pferd translates to "Hunter on Horse", and the JzP regiments were light cavalry, used as messengers early on, and after 1914, were dismounted infantry. In the U.S. Army, Cavalry units are Squadrons (Battalion) and Troops (Company).

Here's how I read these markings: Size 54cm (liner size), 7th Regiment Jaeger zu Pferde, 1913 and the 2.1 would either be 2nd Brigade, 1st Squadron/Battalion, or 2nd Squadron/Battalion, 1st Brigade.

The 7th and 8th JzP Regiments were housed at the Jaegerkaserne in Trier.

Thanks for your help, and I'll post more as I get into this restoration.

R/
Tim

Attachments

• 1913 JzP Front.jpg
    1913 JzP Front.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 1913 JzP L side.jpg
    1913 JzP L side.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 1913 JzP Rear.jpg
    1913 JzP Rear.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 1913 JzP R side.jpg
    1913 JzP R side.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1913 JzP interior.jpg
    1913 JzP interior.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 1913 JzP 7th Reg't markings.jpg
    1913 JzP 7th Reg't markings.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 37
Hi Tim,
Congratulations, nice helmet with a pre-war marking from the year the regiment was raised. Is there a maker's mark on the inside near the aeration hole in the top?
I interpret the "2.1" marking as 2nd Eskadron, 1st Trupp? (not sure what the smaller units within the Eskadrons are called)
As far as I know brigades are larger, higher order, formations that contain several regiments, and that would not make sense in a regimental marking.
Regards,
Lars

According to my research, each Squadron was broken down into four squads (Zugs) with each squad being led by a lieutenant (Zugfuhrer).

Hi Tim,
Congratulations, nice helmet with a pre-war marking from the year the regiment was raised. Is there a maker's mark on the inside near the aeration hole in the top?
I interpret the "2.1" marking as 2nd Eskadron, 1st Trupp? (not sure what the smaller units within the Eskadrons are called)
As far as I know brigades are larger, higher order, formations that contain several regiments, and that would not make sense in a regimental marking.
Regards,
Lars
Lars, I believe the marking is C.E. Juncker. I'll verify and take a photo tonight. The Eskadron would be the squadron, and Trupp would be the troop. I'm wondering if that I is not a 1, but the letter I, as troops or companies are usually designated by letters rather than numbers. Echelons at Battalion and above typically have the numbers. Thank you for the clarification on the Regiment and Brigade.

7th regi will have silver fittings. So a light clean up will nicely reflect the silver fittings.
Amy, I'm excited, as this is the first prewar JzP helmet I've gotten, and it appears to be complete and original. I've got to straighten that front visor out, and see if I need to straighten out the back visor a little, but otherwise I'll knock off the dust and rust, put some polish on it, and call it good.

Amy, I'm excited, as this is the first prewar JzP helmet I've gotten, and it appears to be complete and original. I've got to straighten that front visor out, and see if I need to straighten out the back visor a little, but otherwise I'll knock off the dust and rust, put some polish on it, and call it good.
Yes you got a very nice marked jzp. Congrats

Back