1915 EM's Kuirassier

skelts1974

All,

My latest find is a 1915 EM's Kuirassier. When I found it it needed some work so quickly sent it off to Cameron Laughlin. I spent a while chasing original kokardes. Sadly the national kokarde required reprinting. The wappen, spike and base and the trim have all been repainted, as has the interior of the helmet. Some surface rust remains on the shell itself, but despite this I love it.

I have a couple more on the way soon - a JzP Off Officer's helmet and an EM's 2nd Kuirassier. Both are being restored by Cameron and I am can't wait to smuggle them into the house past the wife. Sadly these are my last for a while.

Regards

Steve

When the wife accepts the package at home while you are at work…

I made my last purchase for a while also last week ):

Indeed ! Looking forward to see both helmets....
Esp the one of Ku Regt Nr 2 !!
Francis

Francis,

Here are a couple of photos of the 2nd Kuirassier before restoration. It is being worked on as we speak.

Steve

Joe,

Cheers, looking forwards to seeing this helmet in person. The wappen is being mended and a new liner fitted. One of the kokardes is in bad shape, but otherwise this is a bit of a gem in the rough. Of note the Clemens makers mark is clear on the front visor.

Will post as a seperate link / item when it arrives.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

Great helmet !! :thumb up: :thumb up: :thumb up: :thumb up:

Would be great to have in my collection...
(I keep telling Missus Boss that this will be the last...ever-ever-ever 8) ).......

Perhaps someone makes me a 3D print.... :(
with patina please !

Kürassier Regiment "Königin" Nr 2-Pasewalk-3rd Kavallerie Brigade.
This is the helmet as worn by this troopers during the "Battle of the Silver Helmets" 12th August 1914 in Halen-Belgium. A poem was written: this type of shiny ("silver") helmets was found in the path of the Eskadrons. Some witnesses say the Kurassiers charged without the helmet covers.
Fantastic history: Joe; Janet and myself worked on this story for more than 9 months.

9 months for a fight that raged for "only" one day !
Of course the book covers more than the fight !!!
Looking forward....
The results of the restoration...and our book of course.... :D

Francis

Francis,

I Would like to know more about your book. I have looked up the battle of Halen in the past, but references online are pretty limited - lacking detail or even the human touch. Would be great to read a first hand account.

Regards

Steve

Steve,
You probably saw this posting before:
Gives you a bit more info:

http://pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8318&hilit=Br%C3%BChe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As only Belgians and Germans were involved then and there, nothing much was ever published in English on this fight. "The Battle of the Silver Helmets".

Regards,
Francis

Steve,

Francis is absolutely right it was a real spree! It was a real pleasure working with Francis as old soldiers it was easy to decide what needed to be done. There is a very long lead time for this to be published. Apparently it comes out first in the UK allegedly in April and then in July 2015 in the US. Most of this lead-time seems to be spent on waiting for certain trade publications to register it. We have not even had the editorial department look at it yet – who knows. I am just about done with Zuber's new book on Liege. Very disappointing and hard to read so far. I think Francis, Janet, and I found a whole lot more about the events west of Liege.

3D-500.jpg

Back