1915 pickelhaube

A

Anonymous

I have recently aquired a 1915 pickelhaube.The holes for the helmet plate are wide apart at 3ins so its not Prussian could someone tell me which states helmet plate would fit it. Many thanks.

Hi,
Q. Are the front holes on all Prussian Helmets the same distance apart? For instance if I got a junk Prussian line shell how hard is it to affix lets say an Oldenburg plate to it?

A. No not all holes are the same (one size does not fit all) however, it might match or you could punch additional holes :)-() but in order to pull it off there would have to be no markings in the helmet ie. Regt and Army Corps. No collector worth his salt would buy it without checking these out first. Eventually it will have to be sold down the line. You are better to get a shell that has the correct markings and then look for a plate that is correct. You should not change these helmets but repair them to their correct form for posterity. Many OR shells had depot marks. Sometimes multiple ones. Officer helmets seem to have been seldom marked by unit.

The holes on Prussian helmets are not the same distance due to the 100's of different manufacturers and the different sizes of helmets being made. Some M15 plates are smaller ie. a shorter distance between crown and tail probably to save metal. Probably what they did was go by size of helmet. For instance, certain wappen would probably would fit sizes 54 to 56cm. This is a theory that might well be wrong. Do not think that any plate will for any helmet. One size does not fit all. Julius Jensen apparently made helmets for both XIV and XV Corps so you cold find Baden and Prussians with the same distanced grommets.
Depot marks first then the plate. Why don't you register and join us? Beats being a "guest" everytime. Now if we could only get Bruno to do it....

Back