~1915 Restoration

Swanicyouth

May not be to everyone’s liking, but coming from someone who just came across 1 helmet by chance, I did some cleanup to get it the way I wanted it. Also, I had to sew the visor back secure, which was a huge PIA using the original holes. Before than after pics:

82D901BB-DCBE-4D7E-8595-934708B0C82A.jpegC008D137-463D-4CE8-8A53-71071DAC5746.jpeg3467ABA4-006F-4F0B-A182-83E514EE9156.jpeg57ED6B09-F2A0-4274-8A66-5D29C884CB46.jpeg

Nice work but it appears that you have stripped off all of the original grey finish on the fittings. The matte grey finish is supposed to be on there in order to reduce “shine “.

Brian would be correct, the finish was dull for a purpose and I am not one for criticism of peoples collections typically but unfortunately you've ruined those fittings. It wouldn't have hurt to do a little bit of research before completely stripping them.

I did the research. I’d figured I’d get that reply, but I like it. There was grey finish on some of the metal parts, it was partially gone + some rust. Chinstrap is an obvious cheap replacement.

This is likely the beginning & end of my collection. I’m an antique clock guy so I know how some people feel about keeping stuff original & other people do what they want. Picked it up for $100.

It is your hat sir and the most common of all the pickelhauben so enjoy it. (y). The spike alone was worth $100.

I know that some collectors think that this is very bad for the helmet, but I think that if you are only going to display it the polished look gives it a certain degree of eloquence.

Although I’m a fan of originality, it's your helmet and you should like it. For €100 you haven't gone wrong. Enjoy it :)

Back