1916 Issued M16 Stahlhelm

Correus

This is going to sound really funny, but have any of you ever seen an M16 stahlhelm, that was issued in 1916, with it's original paint?

The other day I bought an M16, size 64, off eBay with the intent to restore it for re-enacting. The one I bought was cheap compared to all the others and based on the photos it appeared to be in bad shape. The color looked bad as well, almost as if someone was trying to paint it another color at some point.

It arrived today. The paint, over all is not in bad shape, it looks like it had been factory applied. The inside crown, however, looks like someone tried to repaint it using a brush. Other than the size mark there are no other markings.

What's got me going "hmmm..." is the over all color - it's a light field gray (Feldgrau). Most of the ones I've seen have a rather greenish hue instead of a gray hue. However, I've read that in early 1916 they were, at first, painted a light field grey color, I've just never seen one in person. I'm trying to find the original reference but am having a hard time getting the guy I got it from to respond.

Do any of you know how light of a Feldgrau they were first painted in 1916?

I would hate to destroy a helmet that actually has the original 1916 Feldgrau still on it!

Could you all take a look at the pics and tell me what you think? The first couple of pics show it next to an M17 that still has most of it's paint. The M17's color is the one I've seen most, just in various shades of greenishness.

I have one set of people saying it's an after war repaint and another set saying it is an early 1916 paint job.

Can you guys help?

P8130188.jpg

P8130203.jpg

P8130189.jpg

P8130200.jpg

P8130201.jpg

P8130199.jpg

P8130202.jpg

J.LeBrasseur said:
looks good to me, I have a couple that color

James

Agreed. I'd imagine that the color varied a bit depending upon the batch, manufacturer and base colors for mixing available. Not to mention weather.

:D Ron

Back