1916 Turkish Soldiers Wearing German Tunics

I do not know why but I am adding acute postcard envy! I know so little about those uniforms.
Is this guy Turkish? Who is he? This card is absolutely humongous.

ps2015 by joerookery, on Flickr

Interesting UKTC... I'd seen that photo before but never noticed the M1910s, very odd. Haven't you also got a pic of a Turkish soldier wearing Austrian uniform?

Cheers
Chris

Joe,

regarding the Metz photograph. I am wondering if this chap is one of the Goltz era German advisors to the Ottoman Army who was attending a Manouvre in that capacity. Given that he appears to wearing a Johanniter Ehrenritterkreuz?

Regards
Glenn

Chris,

I have been looking through the officers attached to the Ottoman Army in the period 1882 to 1908 and have yet to positively ID this gentleman. However, I don't think it is Louis v. Kamphövener who was a former Prussian Infantry and General Staff Officer. He was not awarded a Johanniter and I can't help thinking he would at least wear the ribbon of his Iron Cross 2nd Class awarded in the Franco-Prussian War.

Hans v. Hobe had already returned to Germany and was commanding the 10. Kavallerie-Brigade from December 1894 to July 1897. This photograph is later than that, the Bavarian General is wearing both the Reichs and Bavarian State cockades. So that probably rules him out.

Regards
Glenn

Joe, Chris,

I think this may well be a good candidate: Viktor v. Grumbckow 1849 - 1901. Reformer of the Ottoman artillery.

Regards
Glenn

This has been super enlightening. Thank you both. I actually contributed something that could make Turkish collectors interested!

Hi Chris, I've been following this post with lots of interest! :thumb up:

Wouldn't your assumption that the 'Bira Pasha' died sometime before 1895 conflict with Glenn's 1901 date of death and the dating of Joe's photo to 1897?

OK, I think I got it now :oops:
Chris was talking about a new guy (Emil) in his last post and the other 2 photos (yours and Joe's) are both Viktor's...

Back