1917 Felt

ChannelIsles

Hi, This is my 1st of these helmets.
I posted on a sister site and was directed to ask the opinion of the resident experts here.
I attach images - is it authentic or a just a good copy. Is there any value here?
I thought it may be too late war (1917)?
Thanks,
Brendan
DSC08501.jpg

DSC08506.jpg

DSC08507.jpg

DSC08502.jpg

DSC08504.jpg

DSC08505.jpg

DSC08503.jpg

DSC08512.jpg

DSC08508.jpg

DSC08509.jpg

DSC08510.jpg

DSC08511.jpg

Hey Brendon,
This style of helmet has come up from time to time, they all seem to come out of England, and I am afraid that it has been determined to be a fake (I hate to use that term, but I think it applies here) The fittings look to be original, but the leather rimmed Filtz helmet, with these markings have not been verified as original by anyone.
I hope someone will contradict me on this, but I do not think so.
Welcome to the forum
Gus

Hi Brendan:
Unfortunately, this is a repro but a very good one. These were made in England during the laate 1960s or early 70s and we have discussed felt shako versions of these here on the forum before. The thread will still be here if you want to read it. The giveaway, is the leather renforcement stitched to the rim of the helmet. There are no original photo records showing this ever being done. All of these have original looking ink stamps and the helmet plates may have been original. It is very easy to get sucked into buying one of these...I bought a Prussian Jaeger shako and Chas bought a Saxon shako. One other thing, the thread in the stitch line that goes right round the helmet on the outside is the wrong colour and I believe lights up under blue light. Whoever made these, really knew their felt helmets. Perhaps the leather round the helmet edge was a deliberate move to signify repro. As I said, none of the true originals have this. Brian

Thanks for the welcome.

It's a shame, I thought I'd bagged a good 'un.
The last owner had it for a long time too.

Maybe the next one....
Brendan

One problem about these repros is that they are slowly getting old themselves.

By the way, in order to test a personal theory, is the reverse side of the leather liner black or light brown? I developed the (probably pointless and oversimplifying) idea that all period leather used on helmets is colored only on one side, whereas leather that has been dyed completely through is always an indication of modern production. Now correct me please :freak:

Concerning the sewn edge, maybe they had a problem cutting it nicely. You probably cant't do it with a knife without burres and irregularities.

Good theorizing Robert. You are correct, modern leather is always dyed on both sides. Many model 1915's have totally natural undyed liners. All M1895s and older have the liner dyed black on the smooth (hair side) of the leather. The liner on these copies is dyed brown on the smooth side and left natural on the rough flesh side. They really are extremely good repros and very hard to detect. The shako I have and the one Chas bought were both dated and stamped with the correct depot Roman numerals. So, again someone really knew their stuff. FYI, there are also very good repro felt tschapkas out there which we have also commented on in this forum. Brendan...I thought mine was a good un as well! Live and learn. Brian

Back