1983 Kube

KAGGR#1

1983 the good ole days when Kube did not place everything in his auction.
When you were able to buy 3 officers helmets at one time
without breaking the bank .
L G R 8 helmet ; epaulettes and shoulder straps
2 Garde Dragoons
2 Garde Regt zu Fuss reserve officer with epaulettes
all direct form one family with the I D of each officer
Sept 24 , 2016
I still have these three 33 years later
More to follow
Steve

Cool Steve, in 1983 I was more worried about girls and getting out of High School, had a couple Third Reich pieces in the collection that where from family members. No Spiked helmets for another 10 years or so.

James

Young girls can be a lot of fun too !

I guess maybe a lot of us got started with
WW II family bring backs .
My father did not serve , but 2 of his brothers did.
I did get two Jap silk meat-ball flags
a Jap rifle and later a Jap sword
I guess that was my start

more later
I am pretty sure that I already have a photo
of the L G R 8 officers helmet
but for some reason never took the 2 G D R
and 2 G R zu Fuss reserve officer
but will try and do today
Steve

My father was a Lancaster mid upper gunner so no souvenirs unfortunately except a German infantry button given to him by a Brit POW. His crew picked up returning POW's after wars end. They also dropped food supplies to the Dutch in Operation Manna.

Leib-Grenadier Regt. 8 officers helmet from
Jan Kube 1983 . Oberstleutnant Geissler
as well as his shoulder straps and epaulettes
Note that the sword the eagle is holding has
a straight hilt
Not the normal s curved hilt that we normally see on Grenadier eagles .

L G R 8 officers rosette F W R III

Steve

2 Garde Regt. zu Fuss reserve officers helmet from Jan Kube 1983
as worn by Oltn. von Hassell

The pair of 2 G R zu Fuss officers epaulettes that came with the helmet

Steve

b.loree said:
My father was a Lancaster mid upper gunner so no souvenirs unfortunately except a German infantry button given to him by a Brit POW. His crew picked up returning POW's after wars end. They also dropped food supplies to the Dutch in Operation Manna.

Wow, Brian! "Operation Manna" saved the life of my (then pregnant with what would become me) mother when she and more family members were close to dying in the aftermath of the "honger winter". Many's the time she told me about the excitement when the Lancs came flying over at a height of maybe a hundred feet, dropping food stuff... real food! I have reason to be very grateful to your father and his mates! I wouldn't be here without them!

The Lanc has always intrigued me. Halfway the last decade (y'know, the days when I could still afford to collect - grin) I was an eBay affiliate with a lot of online affiliate stores. One of them was dedicated to selling Lancaster stuff... instruments, yokes, documents, all kind of "things Lancaster". It was my favourite site out of probably some fifteen where I sold just about anything, from scrap gold via hybrid cars to toilet bowls and general aviation stuff. And then, after some years... eBay decided to get rid of the vast majority of their affiliates, because their own fame had grown sufficiently for them not to need the (rather well-paid) "middle men" anymore. Can't blame them... they could keep the affiliates' commissions in their own pockets from then on.

And there went my income! Gone! From good sweet money to absolutely zero in one day. I deleted the suddenly useless sites of my "eBay empire" :p, but some of them I kinda miss... like the Lancaster site. It was fun: researching, writing articles for it, making it attractive to buyers... good times!

So yes... the Lanc has a big place in my heart, although by now I have only got a picture left of the digital one in my MS FlightSim which irretrievably crashed (the sim/computer, not the Lanc :D). I made most of the panel myself, used to be one of my other hobbies.

Again: much thanks and respect to the memory of your father! He and his mates are still remembered with love and respect by the older generation here in the Netherlands... and by the likes of myself who weren't born yet but still owe their lives to them.

On the cemetary less than ten minutes walking (even with my bum leg) from my house there's a row of graves where fifteen or twenty (mainly Lancaster) pilots and crew men are buried. Every time I visit the cemetary (half of my family's there by now) I walk past their graves. A late aunt of mine, my father's oldest sister, was a matron in the hospital where some of them were cared for - unfortunately in vain. She has seen terrible things. On a lighter note: until the day of her death she insisted that in the row of graves two men were mixed up: a Mackay and a MacKey (grin)! She knew exactly when both died, and she was totally sure that the date of the one is on the headstone of the other, and vice versa.

Anyway: salute to all Lancaster crew!

troika.jpg

Thank you Jaap. He told me that they dropped in a big open park area and that some people were hurt when hit by the falling food stuffs. He did not get overseas until 1944 and flew 10 bombing "ops" before the war ended, probably why he survived when so many crews did not. There is only one Lanc still flying in Canada and it is based at the aircraft museum in Hamilton Ontario. I took him there a few years before he passed, it was a happy day.

"(...) I took him there a few years before he passed, it was a happy day (...)"

I'm sure it was, Brian! Must have revived a lot of memories with your dad, some sad, some good - among the latter undoubtedly Operation Manna!

The still flyable Canadian Lanc... that must be the "Mynarsky", well known among Lanc fans. She deserves to be kept in pristine condition, as an homage to all who flew in her and in her "cousins". I forgot whether she's a MkI or MkIII, come to think of it probably a MkX - I need to refresh my knowledge/memories a bit, just like with Pickelhaubes :D!

"Only" 10 ops... that's 11 more than I would like to fly! Yes... many crew didn't come home, but the graves of those who remain buried in the Netherlands are still honored. In my own town of Ede every year on the 4th of May, our rememberance day of the fallen, a wreath is placed by our mayor (usually assisted by one or more school children) in front of the row of bomber crew graves, and individual flowers on each grave. We won't forget!

Back