1st of Hannover Dragoner Regiment #9

Thank you Glenn! Your next mission Mr. Phelps should you decide to accept it is to answer the same question about artillery guys. When did they stop being Stück-Junkers?

Joe,

to answer the same question about artillery guys. When did they stop being Stück-Junkers?

At the same time as above; following the reorganisation of the "old Army".

Regards
Glenn

Glennj said:
We can pretty much date this helmet exactly. Fahnenjunker-Unteroffizier Weichert of Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 9 was promoted to Fähnrich on 22 March 1914 and commissioned as a Leutnant (without Patent) on 10 August 1914. He subsequently received seniority from 20 November 1912 (20.11.12 K). He survived the war and retired as an Oberleutnant a.D.

Regards
Glenn

I had missed this, Glenn. I cannot believe you managed to trace Herr Weichert back to 1914!! This is amazing. Thank you so much.
Bruno

That is astounding. I have never seen another issued example like this, and the condition is equally amazing. A dream Dragoner helmet. Makes my brain hurt that is so rare :shaking:

This helmet, it's condition and identification of its owner is just amazing, fantastic....whatever adjective you can think of!! I think of the cloth ID tag...animal based glue, lasting for that long, just so hard to believe!!! Kudos to Glenn as well, man...we give you a name and it's like dealing with Sherlock Holmes, you track him down. :thumb up:

I read this topic very lately...

Glenn could start the story of the wearer. Here is the end.

Felix Weichert, Leutnant at the 4/DR9, born a 28.8. in Berlin, has been taken prisoner August 1915.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/1863810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He came back from captivity very early, April 1918. Very uncommon (maybe heavy disease...)

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/2999528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philippe
:D

Bruno ;
On the D R 9 front plate the 2 battle honors on each side of the eagle are made
as part of the eagle plate . Unlike the officers , where a lot of times the battle honors are added to the eagle .
I can't tell about the "Waterloo " battle honor around the neck . Is it made with the eagle also , of added on ?
That helmet is really great .
Thanks
Steve McFarland

KAGGR#1 said:
Bruno ;
On the D R 9 front plate the 2 battle honors on each side of the eagle are made
as part of the eagle plate . Unlike the officers , where a lot of times the battle honors are added to the eagle .
I can't tell about the "Waterloo " battle honor around the neck . Is it made with the eagle also , of added on ?
That helmet is really great .
Thanks
Steve McFarland

Sorry, Steve, I had missed this. The answer is yes, all motto banners are integral to the eagle plate.

Bruno

Truly a beautiful helmet. Interesting in that he was a Fahnenjunker-Unteroffizier and it is an issued helmet. I wonder if he rented it figuring when he become an officer he would have to purchase another helmet?

aicusv said:
Truly a beautiful helmet. Interesting in that he was a Fahnenjunker-Unteroffizier and it is an issued helmet. I wonder if he rented it figuring when he become an officer he would have to purchase another helmet?

Good question. It is not rare to see enlisted type helmets named to non commissioned officers. Did they have to purchase their own helmet, as officers did? If they could not afford one, or kept it as an Extra-Helm, were they free to wear the basic trooper headgear? Who knows everything about helmet demographics in the Imperial army? Joe? Tony? Brian?..
I even have a Mecklenburg M15 named to an officer...

Back