2 Pickelhaubes on eBay

No worries I understand. Lol it is definitely a competition that’s how it is on eBay. I just look for helmets that I might buy and ask members here if they are legit because I’m a pretty timid collector. And yes about the 10 seconds thing bid sniping is a practice very common on eBay I see it a lot

I totally understand making good use of all the accumulated knowledge here is very smart.

I wish you luck, and I will also keep an eye out for ya.

As some of you might know, I monitor eBay quite a lot to see any new Pickelhaube listings. I’m trying to possibly find a nice m15 on there. Anyways, this one has been up for a while.

There is also this lobster tail helmet that was just listen currently at a low auction price, though that doesn’t matter. Something interesting, this is the second lobster tail or cavalry helmet whatever you call it to have a missing eagle head on the Wappen. The seller has a story about this helmet. Just letting you all know of these items. I don’t have any intentions to buy them just thought it would be something worth posting, as I’m always going to be the first one to see a new listing haha 😂

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2045319924...st. I'd like to see this when it's repaired.

Colin: Trust me it is the lighting and the original chin strap alone is worth a minimum of $250 US. The original kokarden $75 each on a good day!

The more I look at it the more I see gray so that’s just me being dumb on my part. I would love this but the auction ends in a while and at the end it’s going to double in price just watch 😂

Also that reminds me while looking at eBay I saw two fireman helmets from imperial or Weimar Germany because they used leather pickelhauben fire helmets up until the 30s I believe on eBay I don’t really like the fire helmets so I’m not interested in them but if one of you are here is the link

Colin.

Not sure where you are located but there is a nice on for sale on Kijiji here in Canada. $900 Canadian or about $660 US. Not sure if he would do PayPal or ship depending on where you are?

Located in Winnipeg Canada.

I think he might have the regiment wrong but the markings are tricky to read.

Peter

I live in America and I would rather wait until one pops up on an American antique dealer or eBay. To all the military collectors here take advantage of Black Friday deals. I bought a helmet net for my East German Stalhelm and a bundeswehr belt. Happy thanksgiving as well to the Americans here.
Something else I want to say. This thread has turned into a long story of different things, and to circle back to one of the original helmets this thread was about, I want to ask something about this helmet. The M15 helmet has a mark I initially thought it said 1918 but someone on the forum said it looked like 1913. The grommets on this helmet appear to be gray yet the helmet is dated 1913?? Is this normal?

Sold for $2365 Canadian! Am I missing something here? Broken plate odd spike needs rebuilding? Rob
Yes the buyer paid quite a lot of money but this lovely Jaeger zu Pherde helmet was produced by Awes Marke, one of the finest makers. The mame is often seen in the best officers Pickelhauben but rare on metal helmets. It still has its complete lining. The aluminum rivets are very easy to remove and shouldn't leave damage. A dragoon eagle is easy to find. I think some of the helmet restorers here would agree this helmet could be put right in little time or effort in the right hands for little cost. Maybe we'll see how turns out.

Woah! I’m not interested in anything expensive or crazy I don’t really care about selling it. Just looking for a basic EM or NCO Pickelhaube. The fittings do look yellow but maybe it is the lighting
Buy one from a member here. We advertise stuff on the for sale part of the forum. Plus you'll get an honest piece. Cheers Tony

I too have thought about posting here, some ebay pickelhaubes. As a newbie as well, I had figured that any good deal was going to be immediately snatched by a member here. It is pretty difficult to find an item that you can get for a bargain. I have accepted that the best course of action is trying to better educate myself, to pick up details and how to identify good haubes from "franken-haube" (Put together from various others) or complete forgeries. I have appreciated members telling me about reputable sellers on other sites like Helmut Weitze and the folks at Age of Kings Militaria. I have had positive transactions with both of these sellers and they are both reputable dealers. But, they are dealers so you might as well accept that there are no bargains. They will be honest in their dealings and will be forthright about the condition, provide the best photos they can. That being said, there are sometimes mistakes.

Personally, I think that there is a range when it comes to prices. Just like there is an ebb and flow when it comes to items coming to the market.
So, those who have, say there are several out there; those who want, they are looking and looking to no avail. Mind you, those who have won't sell you theirs.

I had an experience where, I had just gotten into Mützenband collecting. I had been looking for the Panzerschiff Admiral Graf Spee. I had been looking and was told by others that this was a more common tally, that they turn up. However, after about 12 months, and finding nothing, I came across one on ebay. It was a genuine metal thred version, full length, and had a worn appearance. Long story short, I bought that tally for €550. When I shared that with other like-minded members, they were shocked. They thought I overpaid by a good €250. But, I was able to complete my collection of the Panzerschiffe. Yes, three months later, there was more examples that did find their way through the "wood work". For much more "acceptible" prices as told to me by members. But you know what I did? I bought those examples too.
:ROFLMAO: "Double Down". Ha Ha. After all, to me, it was a "bargain" compared to the eye popping ammount I had dropped on my first. I got to complete my collection sooner and it looks great. I don't have any regrets. My collection has the same philosophy as dollar cost averaging.

I just completed my named German ships of Jutland 1916. I tell you what. the Smaller ships were the ones that were the most difficult to find. But, when a dealer found out that I was willing to pay the kind of price that he felt was "reasonable" in his mind, I was able to complete that part of the collection. I searched for over many years for a S.M.S. Luetzow to no avail. Finally, I got that one and I paid a hefty price on ebay.de to keep all the poachers off. Still ended up "overpaying" a bit, even in my mind but, I have no regrets. A completed collection is more impressive than having a partial or incomplete one (In my humble opinion) in this specific field.

Getting off my soap box, I just thought I would share my knowledge when it comes to collecting and when someone is giving you a reference for a price. There is a wide range when it comes to prices. If you are fortunate to get a helmet, it might be best to invest in the best thing you can find. Quality and care vs. quantity. The quality period piece will be appreciate and will maintain its demand and maintain if not, increase in value as these are pieces of leather that are constantly changing in an ever increasing hostile environment. Pickelhaubes and militaria is kind of like cars.... Only you can't drive them or take them out for a "Spin". A pristine old car is going to fetch more money and will have a much bigger market than a car that has been put together with inaccurate parts, has significant damage, fixed or not, and might have things missing entirely that need to be replaced. Same thing with a 'Haube.

Best of luck in you collecting.

"A Quality item will never be offered at a discount/bargain to someone who isn't friend/family first"

JustinG

P.S. If you made it through my ramblings, well good for you. You have some fortitude. -Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I read through it all. I just don’t want to spend lots of money on something I know I can get for a better price if I play the waiting game. Both these helmets sold by now I have seen. I check Ebay.DE, Ebay.FR, Ebay.CA, Ebay.COM, and Ebay.CO-UK twice a day.
Every now and then you see a M15 helmet come up for around 450-550 usd which is kind of the range I am after. I also check griffin militaria and bay state militaria. Usually they have reasonable prices. I’m glad you were able to collect your ships and bands collection!

Bargains can still be had on Ebay, but you need to decide quickly whether it's good or not because it will be gone soon.
Just last week I saw an M15 Sachsen Pickelhaube for sale, without the Kokarden and the chin strap, but in good reasonable condition with a 2-part Wappen, buy-it-now price 570 Euro (seemed cheap to me); within the hour the seller had changed the price to 690 670 Euro, and an hour later the whole offer had been withdrawn (my guess: somebody offered to pay outside of Ebay) :)

EDIT: not 690, but 670 Euro after the price increase
Link: https://www.ebay.de/itm/375088452967?_ul=DE&var=0

I wrote the post from memory, when I finally found the item I realised my memory was not entirely accurate........

Last edited:
Back