2 quick questions

Sten

Hello Gentlemen i just have two questions 1. how do you pronunce YPRES is it epre, epress, yyiprees and 2. is it my imagination or are the shapes of the british brody helmets slightly different, some appear to have a flatter helmet bowl almost with a more narrow brim some look to be more round with a wider brim, or if there is no difference tell me i've been looking at too much WW1 stuff.....this is a great place to learn

I believe that would be "Eep," though Tommy Atkins referred to it as "Wipers."

There are different patterns of the Brodie helmet. Take a look at Tony's essay:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/helmets/

Chas.

Thank You Chas, i had asked a friend of mine who speaks a little dutch but he did not know. I would not have thought that was how it was prounounced. i like that tool , i've never seen that before. Leave it to Mr. Tony to have info on this hes a regular dynamo with this field. i have only seen his pickelhaube info. i'll have to look further into it the ones i've seen that look different seem to have a flatter wider shape, maybe they were the US helmets. regardless i have to learn my pickelhaubes first they are the most complex. Thank you again Chas

Sten said:
//the ones i've seen that look different seem to have a flatter wider shape, maybe they were the US helmets.//
Hi Sten:

What you describe sounds like the rimless 1st pattern Brodie. The easiest way to identify whether a helmet is U.S. or UK manufacture is the method for attaching the chinstrap follower. U.S. helmets were riveted, UK helmets employed a split brad.

Here is an example of an M1917 U.S. helmet:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3369

Chas.

Ypres is pronounced by the Flemish and the Dutch like "Eeper" from the Dutch spelling: "Ieper", in French: "Ypres" ( Eepruh). The Germans also say "Eeper".
Ypres is laying in the Flemish language part of Belgium "De Westhoek", or West Corner.
Of course the pronnounciation of "Whypers" is totally British, if I may say so as a Dutch guy. :D

Pierre

Back