2-Sets of Curved Chinscales for Mounted Troops. Both in Excellent Condition with the Gilding Intact

ww1czechlegion

Offered for sale are 2-sets or pairs of Curved Chin Scales for Mounted Troops. These came off the two Depaheg Patent Vulcan Fiber enlisted pattern Pickelhaubes I acquired this past April. This first set was on the Pioneer enlisted helmet found here:

https://www.pickelhaubes.com/xf/thr...hin-scales-stitched-visors.17649/#post-126416

1.) First Set is in superb condition, near mint I would say. This set comes with a pair of curve shaped Rosettes for Mounted Troops.
The strap with the buckle end is intact, and the full length adjustment strap is intact and folded in place on the back side of the chin scale set.
The mercury fire gilding appears to be 100% intact. The photos I took do not do justice to how nice this set is.

I measured the inner side of the chin scale set from end-to-end and it measures approximately 12 1/2" length from one side to the other side mounting area ends of the chin scale set. The mounting hole area is approximately 11 1/2" from side to side, measuring from the inner side of the chin scale set. I hope this makes sense to explain this way.

Priced at $250.00 or "Best Offer".

USA Postage: $10.20 via Priority Mail w/Tracking.

Canada Postage: $20.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Poland Postage: $23.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

Australia & New Zealand Postage: $25.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

Singapore Postage: $25.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

101_7826.JPG

101_7827.JPG

101_7828.JPG

101_7829.JPG

101_7830.JPG

101_7831.JPG

101_7832.JPG

101_7833.JPG

101_7834.JPG

101_7835.JPG

2.) 2nd Set of Chin Scales is also in excellent condition with what appears to be 100% of the mercury fire gilding intact. I am not sure why the some of the photos made the gold color appear a bit darker than on the 1st set I posted here for sale.

The only condition issue with this set is that the adjustment strap is broken off a couple of inches from where the strap goes underneath the folded over leather backing of the chinscales. In other words, the adjustment strap is only about 2 3/4" in length. The adjustment buckle and strap is intact and not damaged. The bottom edge of the small leather "keeper" needs to be re-sewn. The keeper is intact, the bottom thread came undone from the keeper. The top edge is still stitched in place.

I measured the inner side of the chin scale set from end-to-end and it measures approximately 12 3/4" length from one side to the other side mounting area ends of the chin scale set. The mounting hole area is approximately 11 3/4" from side to side, measuring from the inner side of the chin scale set. I hope this makes sense to explain this way.

This set came on a rare Depaheg Patent Vulcan Fiber I purchased back in April of this year. The set came with a pair of flat Rosettes which I will sell separately. The thread with this helmet is found here:

Priced at $200.00 or "Best Offer".

Canada Postage: $20.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Poland Postage: $23.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

Australia & New Zealand Postage: $25.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

Singapore Postage: $25.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

101_7836.JPG

101_7837.JPG

101_7838.JPG

101_7839.JPG

101_7840.JPG

101_7841.JPG

101_7842.JPG

Last edited:
3.) Offered for sale is a pair of gold color, flat Rosettes. The mercury fire gilding is 100% intact.

Price: $45.00 or "Best Offer".

Payment via PayPal is o.k. I prefer "friend and family".

Canada Postage: $18.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Poland Postage: $20.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

Australia & New Zealand Postage: $22.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

Singapore Postage: $22.00 via 1st Class International Mail with Tracking.

I can combine postage.

Thanks,

Alan Schaefer

101_7843.JPG

101_7844.JPG

Congratulations on your sale Alan. I am just wondering was there evidence of M91 posts on these two helmets? Had someone removed them and put these officers style scales on them??

Congratulations on your sale Alan. I am just wondering was there evidence of M91 posts on these two helmets? Had someone removed them and put these officers style scales on them??

Hi Brian,

Thanks for you kind words, and thank you for your excellent question. Yes, both helmets have the holes for the M91 posts, with the two small holes for the pins that hold the M91 post in place and do not allow for the post to turn or twist.

I'm guessing that it was the former collector who did this, or possibly the person whom he purchased both of the vulcan fiber body helmets from placed them on each of the two helmets. I believe the former collector who owned both of these vulcan fiber body helmets by Depaheg Patent is deceased, so there is likely no way for me to find out who placed these incorrect chinscales on both of the helmets.

Both helmets came with a set of kokardes made for the M91 side posts. One set is nice. The other set is missing the white ring on both kokardes, unfortunately.

I am amazed that who ever did place these incorrect mounted troop chin scale sets on the two helmets, found two sets of superb condition chin scales that actually fit both of the helmets so very nicely.

I'm in the process of cleaning a pair of brass M91 posts to place on the brass trimmed helmet.

I'm deciding which helmet to place a pair of neusilber M91 posts that I have, either the very nice vulcan fiber helmet that is a twin of the brass trimmed helmet, or a leather body pioneer helmet that I acquired in a trunk grouping several years ago.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply and description Alan. These are rare pieces in my experience, I have never seen/held an OR Vulcan fibre helmet in all my years of collecting. I would assume that these were still private purchase items?

Thanks for the quick reply and description Alan. These are rare pieces in my experience, I have never seen/held an OR Vulcan fibre helmet in all my years of collecting. I would assume that these were still private purchase items?

Hi Brian,

These two helmets that I found this past April are the only two enlisted pattern vulcan fiber body helmets by Depaheg Patent that I have ever seen which have stitched visors. All of the other enlisted pattern vulcan fiber body helmets made by Depaheg Patent that I have seen have riveted front and back visors on them. I own one such example. I'm not sure why I have never seen these stitched visor enlisted pattern vulcan fiber body helmets previously. Especially since we routinely see the officer version helmets made by Depaheg Patent with stitched visors.

I believe that the helmets with the riveted visors were actual issue helmets, since my riveted visor example has a "B.A." depot issue marking on the back visor. I suppose it is possible they could also be private purchase "extra" helmets as well. I have a couple of photos of these helmets with the riveted visors being worn. One of my photos shows an entire small grouping of soldiers wearing them, 10 or 12 men, I don't recall the exact number in the photo postcard.

As a side note I think it's very interesting that the underside of the leather liners inside both of these enlisted pattern stitched visor vulcan fiber body helmets are maker marked and 1914 dated. Both liners have the Depaheg Patent maker mark on them on the wearer's side of the liners.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Hi Brian,

Here's the link showing photos of my issue marked helmet by Depaheg Patent with the visors attached using rivets.

The two photos are also on this link with the riveted visor helmets being worn.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Back