2016 SOS pictures

Here are some more realistic pictures of militaria from the SOS today:

James and Paul LeBrasseur

James's first helmet purchase today.

Not a pickelhaube pic but a very cool WW1 Brit/Cdn display, a complete Princess Mary Xmas gift box set framed. These were given as a Christmas gift to Brit and dominion troops the first year of the war. The brass boxes are common collectibles but the pipe, tobacco etc I have never seen as of course, they were used in the trenches. The black Trinidad, Grenada gift box, I did not know even existed and I have never seen it mentioned in period descriptions of troops receiving their Christmas gifts.

This is an example of a near perfect Prussian M 15 filz helme (some stains from use)...all fittings match and are present, no cracks in the felt, complete liner, this is worth the extra cash. No kokarden or chin strap but the helmet has basic excellent qualities, original replacements can be bought. Again to our new collectors.....the colour of the fittings match, there is no doubt that they are original to this helmet, it is worth the extra cash. The nice thing about felt, tin, steel and vulcan fibre helmets, they are not as effected by heat and humidity as the leather ones.

Thanks for posting the great photos Brian, that's really nice of you! =D> :bravo:

Looks like a lot of fun again, as it always is. I'm sorry to miss seeing all you guys this year.

Best Regards,

Alan

Thank you for those pictures :thumb up: ! If you have time to make some more, please don't hesitate to post these also :-"

Adler 1

12717193_10206837998641141_8713209251044630940_n.jpg

Left to right... Paul Le Brasseur, Brian Loree, James Le Brasseur, John Kitts (in background), Gus Bringelson and Jeff Knoll author of the Imperial German Markings reference book.

Some shots of markings found on helmets at the SOS. These were on excellent M15 Prussian OR helmets owned by Jerry R who is a member on the forum. Jerry's helmets were 'bond" quality as we haube collectors say...near perfect! Jerry allowed me to take these shots. Joe, if we don't have these markings or if these are clearer, please add them to our archives.

Train Abteilung 8 1915.

Infantry Regt 156, accepted into stores 1916, 3rd Battalion. There were 3 battalions in each German Regt each with approx 1,000 men. Canadians fought as battalions of 1,000 men not Regts. You can see the "bond" quality of Jerry's helmets in the liners.....perfect even after 100 years!
A shot of Jerry's table at the show, 5 excellent M15's that he picked up over the years of collecting
[URL=http://s8.photobucket.com/user/Baxiv54/media/IMG_4451.jpg.html]

Great helmets!!! Wished i could have been there. I totally agree with your comments about the flizehelmet.
When i buy a filze helmet it's very important for me that all hardware has the same color/patina.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Yes with all M15's if buying one...examine the colour of the fittings and see if things match up especially, the wappen and the spike top. These are most often things that have been lost and replaced. If you are replacing a spike top buy one as close to the colour of your original fittings as possible. At the SOS on Sat I missed out on a complete M15 spike and tin base, I had seen it Friday ($125) went back for it and the top had been sold to another dealer so he could complete a helmet he had for sale!! I went over and talked to the second dealer and checked out his now complete M15 Prussian haube. It was marked "PB 30" which of course is Pioneer Battalion 30. He had no clue as to what the markings were and was pleased with the information I gave him. BTW, not all M15 spike tops will fit on a base, as with most haube fittings different makers produced their own sizes.

Some SOS "hardware":

Another purchase made by James, Prussian general's helme number two:

More...

I wanted to buy this JR 109 wappen very badly...

The dealer's best price was $500 but I had to restrain myself, I was at the SOS to sell things or buy a helmet which could be fixed and later sold for profit. I was not there to buy pieces for my collection. The wappen was sold the day after this picture was taken. :(
I took over 100+ pictures this trip, so they will be posted here over the next few weeks.

Yes Leone, it even had screw posts on the back, not loops. Steve, I know you are right, we all have to be realistic when we collect. I will end up with a JR 109 OR's helmet eventually, I just have to be patient. That is another thing that every collector needs to learn.

Back