250 Photo's of The Forgotten Front, Vosges Mountains, France

colduwettstein006lingefkp0.jpg

Necropole Nationale le Linge, Col du Wettstein

Dear Friends,

It took me some time, but since a few weeks I have finished my chapter of 18 photo impressions of “The Forgotten Front” in the Vosges Mountains in Alsace, France. With 250 photo’s I try to show you the situation of nowadays of the bunkers and trenches on the passes and summits of the mountains.
In between the pictures and in some frames I have written some concise texts, telling about the horrible events that happened on these sites.

Although the summits are not that high as for instance the Alps, I was again very impressed by the sight of these battlefields, where the fights took place on steep slopes on difficult terrain. Especially during the severe winters the circumstances in the mountains must have been very harsh for the soldiers. Some sites show that the No-man’s-land was often only a few meters wide. The heritage of steel and concrete, the Germans left behind, is still very impressive.
If you visit my photo impressions, perhaps you will also learn that the landscape of the Vosges is nowadays very peaceful and beautiful (especially on the pages about the Road of the Ridges, the “Route des Crêtes”).

These 18 pages show the battlefields of Col du Bonhomme, Col de Mandray, Tête de Faux, Le Linge or Lingekopf, Col du Wettstein, Schratzmännele, Hohrodberg, Le Grand Honack, Route des Crêtes, and the Vieil Armand or Hartmannswillerkopf.

I am still not ready yet with my explorations of interesting sites along the Forgotten Front. Next year I hope to visit other interesting sites in the Vosges Mountains.

If you are interested, please click on ALSACE VOSGES Col du Bonhomme , and follow the links "lees meer"(= READ MORE) and below the pages further on.

Thank you for visiting my photo impressions!

Pierre GG

Some samples:
1st German line, Lingekopf.

colletdulinge20070026gewn2.jpg

2nd German line, Lingekopf.

colletdulinge20070056gexc4.jpg

German Dressing Station, le Grand Honack

grandhonack006germandreyz5.jpg

German Field Altar, Hohrodberg

hohrodberg025autelallemju5.jpg

Dora Bunker, Hartmannswillerkopf

hartmannswillerkopf0050sk1.jpg

Excellent fotos as usual Pierre! Your work really brings the battle sites alive for those of us who have yet to visit France and Belgium where our grandfathers fought. Thank you, Brian

There is just too much here! It will take me a while to go through this. Your initial picture on this post is extremely interesting. Thanks.

You could get lost in those pages! Any one who has never checked out Pierre Grande Guerre's site, I recommend it highly, absolutely beautiful photography.

Back