250th Maschinen-Gewehr-Abteilung (MGA) Ice Ax

Scout2017

Though not a Pickelhauben, this Ice Ax I thought readers might be interested in seeing as they are rarely found, let alone unit marked.

This particular Ax belonged to the 250th Maschinen-Gewehr-Abteilung (MGA).

This Ice Ax is a long shaft version of which only a small number were provided to each a unit and was viewed as unit equipment verses a tool for each solder, which was the case for the short shaft Ice Ax.

The unit that owned this piece was from Baden Wurttemberg. The ax has Baden Wurttemberg hall marks and the equipment number for the ax is 13. The Ice Ax for mountain troops was made in 1918 and though used for climbing, it was also used as a close quarters weapon. This ax also includes its protective leather cover and cloth carrying sling.

This sounds very interesting; however, I cannot get the photo to open. Could you try posting it again?

John :)

Would love to see it but same for me cannot open the link
Hope you can insert the fotos i am curious to see it

Jonas

I have found that hitting 'preview' before posting photos works well. That way, I can see if the link is correct or not. Sometimes, I think I have it right, but used the wrong link, so have to try again.

:D Ron

How is it I never find MG marked items???? :-?

well done - look forward to the images.
Mark

Better than this is hard to compaire trully nice with that big of a marking on it
Cant miss to read that big regimental mark

Very nice find :thumb up:

Jonas

Obviously, an extremely rare piece with excellent markings! Congratulations and thank you for making this post. :thumb up:

Back