25th dragoons mantel

USN

Good evening gentlemen,

I mentioned this coat in a previous thread and am now just making the thread on it. I'm looking at acquiring this piece and just wanted other opinions on this as it doesn't have an actual unit mark, I believe based off of the cornflower blue main color and white collar/ piping, as well as the colors of the shoulder boards and the makers label being a wurttemberg tailor that this coat would have at one point belonged to a rittmeister of the 25th dragoons. The coat itself is in remarkable shape and I'm hoping that my evaluation of this uniform is accurate.

20220116_162456.jpg
20220116_162531.jpg
20220116_162521.jpg
20220116_162511.jpg

It looks totally correct to me, I checked my many reference books. I cannot say more, than a totally original example.
Very, very nice! Congratulations!

Regards, Coert.

Well, when you have removable shoulder boards, you are almost guessing in some cases, as they might be replacements. DR25 received their cypher 22 Jan 1872 and this Überrock is too fine a condition to be that old. Gilt buttons when the helmet used silver fittings is correct for this Regt. But even if they are not for DR25, then why no number? Every unit (except some Garde and Bavarian) had something. They are clearly originals. Then why are they like this?

Well, when you have removable shoulder boards, you are almost guessing in some cases, as they might be replacements. DR25 received their cypher 22 Jan 1872 and this Überrock is too fine a condition to be that old. Gilt buttons when the helmet used silver fittings is correct for this Regt. But even if they are not for DR25, then why no number? Every unit (except some Garde and Bavarian) had something. They are clearly originals. Then why are they like this?
Is it possible that these boards aren't original to the uniform? These are clearly period pieces but as you said with anything removable it can be hard to guarantee authenticity of the items. I do have a set of 25th dragoons banjo boards on my radar that could potentially be put on this coat if I end up getting it.

Last edited:
AKO 12 July 1888 directed the Epaulettes be removed and replaced with removable shoulder boards. So I don't think that would work. Look cool, but probably not correct era.

So until it's figured out, especially as it is Stuttgart made, I would not change anything. It appears to be correct and I just do not know why those boards do not have cypher or number. Someone has to know.

It's stunning and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I believe Dragoner Regt. Nr. 10 and Ulanen Regt. Nr.9 also wore white collar and cuffs on blue. I vote with the US Navy that it is to the eye a perfect Dragoner sky blue.

If you can land a pair of D R 25 epaulettes , I would sure go for them .
I bought a very nice pair at auction .
By the time I paid the 25 % commission and the exchange
rate I had an arm and a leg in them.
Steve View attachment 19703
The set i have eyed up is boxed and for a rittmeister, I also have a visor lined up but unfortunately don't have the roughly 3 thousand dollars it would cost to buy everything at once haha

Well gentlemen the coat is officially in, I took a few photos before work and will try and take some more professional ones once I get off of work it looks incredible in hand and I can see myself in the buttons, an interesting note since the shoulder boards were being discussed previously they appear to have an underlay that matches the blue of the coat perfectly. It almost seems like they were made specifically to go with this coat. I'm going to be looking for a brocade belt to go with the tunic next as well as the visor, I hope you all enjoy and id love to hear any thoughts.

Will

20220222_140853.jpg
20220222_140843.jpg

Superb condition Will, congratulations!
Agree, the shoulder boards look like they're made for this coat :)
Regards,
Lars

Reactions: USN
Superb condition Will, congratulations!
Agree, the shoulder boards look like they're made for this coat :)
Regards,
Lars
Which still begs the question if the man was paying to have these boards custom made for this mantel why not include a cypher?

The shoulder boards for Dragoner 25 should have a white, not a blue underlay. I see a Überrock in near mint kondition, but a heavy used patch from a Taylor in Stuttgart.

I'm finding it nearly impossible to find examples of period regulations and examples for officers of this regiment but it appears as though on the mantels this particular regiment used shoulder boards that were blue dominant for enlisted men so providing that these boards are original to the uniform this could be an explanation as to why the boards have a blue underlay instead of white.Schulterstücke,_Dragoner-Regiment_Nr._25,_Die_Uniformen_der_deutschen_Armee,_Ruhl,_Tafel_31.jpg

Back