26 Photo Pages about the British Sector at the Somme 1916

hawthorneridgecmty001kw7.jpg

Top photo: Hawthorn Ridge, Beaumont Hamel.

Dear Friends,

It has been some 2 months since I invited you to visit my photo pages about the “Hartmannswillerkopf”, topic http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19537#19537.

Now I would like to request your attention for a new series of 26 photo pages about the battlefields of the British sector of the Battle of the Somme of 1916.
In the near future I will also edit new pages about the French Sector and locations in the Somme area, which have been important in the period of March-August 1918.

lesars003german111thrirsg8.jpg

Le Sars: German Memorial 111th R.I.R.

Besides the variety of 90 year old shells, it is of course very difficult to find some German relicts still left. I only could locate 4 badly preserved memorials near Serre, in Martinpuich, near Courcelette, and le Sars. I edited a chapter about the German War Cemetery at Fricourt and I visited the crash site of Baron Manfred Von Richthofen at Vaux sur Somme.
The memorials, cemeteries, and preserved relicts, like trenches and bunkers, in the Somme area mostly emphasize the British aspect and efforts. Even the French Somme sector is not so much equipped with memorials or relicts as the British sector is.
You may comment that my pages are influenced by this aspect, but this is the situation in France nowadays. For my sources for my trip and for editing the photo impressions I relayed mostly on French and British sources. I do realize, that this could have influenced my effort to be as neutral as possible.

Many words, but may I invite you now to visit the 26 pages of photo impressions with around 300 photo’s of the Battlefields of the Somme?

Click on Concise Introduction to the Somme.

Thank you for visiting my photo impressions!

Pierre GG

Auchonvillers:

oceanvillas001aw1.jpg

Sheffield Memorial Park, Serre:

serre019sheffieldmemorify1.jpg

Mametz Wood:

mametzwood2007001panaragi8.jpg

Martinpuich:

martinpuich015lnthermanld4.jpg

Thiepval Wood:

thiepvalwood0018twpart1pb8.jpg

Somme Pages Extended.
As my followers on Facebook already know, during the last month of July I extended, and in some cases I even re-edited, some Photo Impressions about the Somme with new 2011 photos. I hope that these 60 extra images and photos will give you an even better impression of the sites and locations.

To the Somme Introduction page I added only one photo of Albert from a distance.

I extended the two Photo Impressions about Thiepval. I added fourteen images to the Thiepval Memorial photo page, also about the recently inaugurated Dorsets Memorial.

To my photo report about Thiepval Wood – Ulster Tower I added nine images; of St. Pierre-Divion and mainly new photos of the renovated Ulster Tower at sunset. I added also a rare period photo of the Ulster Tower standing on the uncleared battlefield.

I completely re-edited and re-styled the Serre-Hébuterne photo page with new details of trench maps, satellite views, and I added twelve new 2011 photos. Reason for my reorganisation of this page formed the recent renovation of the before worn-out French Cemetery opposite the Heidenkopf.

The Mametz Wood photo page has been extended with a new satellite view, a detail of a 1916 trench map, and seven 2011 (a.o. panorama) photos of Dead Valley and Mametz Wood. I made these photos on 25 May 2011 during my favourite time of the day for photography, about an hour before sunset, which often offers beautiful lights and skies.

To the Delville Wood, Longueval photo page I added two satellite views and four 2011 photos of the Memorial, wich is dedicated to the "Footballers Battalions" , and which has been inaugurated rather recently at 27-10-2010. The memorial is located at the edge of Delville Wood, Longueval.

Click on Somme Introduction and follow the links below each page to the next chapter.

Warning. If you have never visited my Somme pages, expect hundreds of images. It may also take some more visits to read and view all these pages.

Next month, next release; Northern Vosges; Montreux German Front Walk.

Thanks in advance for visiting my website, my Pickelhaube-friends!
Pierre

Dear Friends of Pierre’s Photo Impressions of the Western Front,

This summer I visited again the Somme front. After my visit I decided to re-edit some Somme photo impressions with new 2012 footage. I also added new satellite maps, period pictures and some illustrated frames with concise background information.

The re-edited photo impressions are: Thiepval Wood - Ulster Tower, Ovillers-La Boisselle , and Flers - Gueudecourt.

Next month another update: I will add some new 2012 photos of the “Abri de Combat MF1” bunker in the front area of Verdun- Froideterre.
From November you may expect a series of new photo impressions about the Lorraine region around Metz and Pont-à-Mousson. As usual, my friends, expect every new month an update or a completely new photo impression!
I hope that you will appreciate my last and new updates!

Another update is always a good reason to visit your excellent site again!

Thanks and best regards,

Edwin

Back