2nd Kuirassier Regiment Enlisted Helmet

skelts1974

All,

A few months ago I purchased this helmet from Age of Kings. It was missing the liner, one of the kokardes was badly damaged and the wappen had a range of issues including multiple breaks, cracks and a missing sceptre. Cameron Laughlin has again worked his magic and brought a damaged gem back to life.

Hope you all like.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

I actually handled this helmet. Restoration job seems amazing. Rare as hen's teeth. Great job :thumb up:

Thanks guys,

You may note that the wappen is not sitting flush. I discovered that one of the mounting lugs has broken off during the postage handling process. Once I have soldered it back on and cleaned the helmet it should look even better. Pretty keen to let the wappen tarnish a little to give it back an aged look. Of note the detail on the reverse of the wappen is amazing. Due to its age there are a lot of cracks in the plate that Cameron had to strengthen with additions of solder and small backing plates.

Great and rare helmet.
I like these helmets, this one would look nice next to mine 2nd kuirassier helmet. :evil:
It took me years to find mine because the regiment fought not far from where i live.

Greetings

Pickelhaube said:
Great and rare helmet.
I like these helmets, this one would look nice next to mine 2nd kuirassier helmet. :evil:
It took me years to find mine because the regiment fought not far from where i live.

Greetings

:-k And where would this be ?

Pickelhaube said:
I don't live far from Halen, so i've visited the museum alot of times.

What a wonderful place! :thumb up: We really enjoyed our time there. Now with a little help from our publisher this book is supposed to come out in April in the UK. July in the US. I would like to say that confidence is high but this is not our first rodeo. Dealing with the publishing world is like a box of chocolates – you never know what you're going to get.

The Last Great Cavalry Charge by joerookery, on Flickr

Pickelhaube said:
I don't live far from Halen, so i've visited the museum alot of times.

I see, welcome to the forum.
Hope to see some of your pictures sometime.

Joe, great cover! :thumb up:

Joe,
I look forward to buying your book. Your books are always a great addition to my library and general body of knowledge. Too bad it won't be available for the SOS.
Please keep up the good work.
Jim

Thanks Jim – we were trying to get it out for the Centennial. Missed that by 100 miles. We're pretty much done writing. I donated much of the library to the University of North Texas.

This little museum card shows the Eskadrons storming the thin line of defence held by the Belgian Lancers.
Please have a look at the details on the helmets !
Have a look at rolled up lance pennants.... This is what I found in "Die Deutsche Stahlrohrlanze" by Gerhard Wanner.
1.The noice produced by so many pennants during a charge frightened the enemy horses....
but:
2.Though there is no written proof: The rolled up pennant would prevent the lance to penetrate all the way through the opponents body. And off course preventing the loss of the lance...
Francis
2899160.jpg

14xm1dv.jpg

Your comment about the noise reminded me of a story my Father-in-Law told me. He was a young boy during the war and one day a Dragoon Regiment moved through his town. He claimed it was one of the noisiest things he ever heard, with all the banging and clanging of their kit.

aicusv said:
Your comment about the noise reminded me of a story my Father-in-Law told me. He was a young boy during the war and one day a Dragoon Regiment moved through his town. He claimed it was one of the noisiest things he ever heard, with all the banging and clanging of their kit.

Ditto, this made me think of the Polish Winged Hussars whose feathers were said to 'hiss loudly' as they rode forward. Sort of like modern day armor, where the ground begins to shake before the tank appears.

Also, do you mean Halen north of Osnabruek? If so, I've been to Guetersloh and Bielefeld (Muensterland) several times. I'll have to visit the museum next time. :)

:D Ron

Khukri said:
Nope ! :-?

Halen, Belgium !!!!

Google Earth ! 8)

Francis

Oh crap! Well, I was thinking of the Kassern, not the battle! Stupid of me. Anyway, Halen Germany is in the midst of 'horse' country, so that's where my thinking was going... muddled as usual! ](*,)

:D Ron

After some delay...our book will be available May 25th 2015. In the UK. Later in the US. http://fonthillmedia.com/epages/a72b332e-5c82-4e84-ad34-4c5316ee7a6b.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/a72b332e-5c82-4e84-ad34-4c5316ee7a6b/Products/978-1-78155-183-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Francis

Back