3 Garde zu fuss or 3 Grenadiers Rgt ?

ipcf92

Dear all,

Your opinion about this helmet sold on e-bay Germany n° 140125036512 by WEITZE militaria.
Is it really a 3rd Garde zu fuss or a 3rd Grenadiers rgt. ?

No mark with the traditionnal B.A.G. Only 3 G.R. 1891.

Thank's
ipcf92 Bertrand

Hello Bertrand:
It is not unusual for a helmet to not have the BAG mark. However, this is a Grenadier wappen as it has the S shaped guard on the sword rather than the"squared' guard on the typical garde wappen. My Didier Laine source indicates that the 3rd Garde Regts zu Fus would have this wappen BUT with Squared cross guard on the sword. So my first reaction is that the wappen is not correct. Perhaps other more knowledgeable members can account for this? Brian

Hello Brian,

Thank's a lot for your opinion. I'm very carefull about this helmet because it has been for months on WEITZE's shop site with a low price.

Bertrand

Hello,

the 3rd Garde Regts zu Fus would have this wappen

Hello,
I never readed it in my favorites books (Peitsch, Knötel,Larcade, Regnier)

I know, Mr Laine wrote much about Officer's helmets.
May it be different for troopers's ?
\:D/ [/code]

I do not think that unit marking indicates 3 Garde Regiment zu Fuß. I interpret that unit stamp as Grenadier-Regt. König Friedrich Wilhelm I (2.Ostpreußisches) Nr.3 (Königsberg i. Pr.) I Armee Korps.

There is a good thread in here somewhere (started by Dave M if I recall?) that discusses the squared sword hilt for Garde Regiment zu Fuß Wappens and the "S" sword hilt for Grenadier Wappens.

It looks like a grenadier regiment to me also. The thread Tony mentioned is

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2897

Back