4GGRK

Sadowa

Hello gentlemen,
time ago I have purchased this pickelhaube.I believe it is pure pattern M.1871 for OR.
On the rear visor is marked : 4GGRK / 4.Garde Grenadier Regiment Koenigin/ 1889, 1B,1C and 1889 again.
As known-since 1889 -by all 5 Grenadiers Regiments-was the Grenadier´s Eagle replaced by Guard´s Eagle.
If this unit mark is read correct,by me,it means following: The newer – M.1887- was not issued to this regiment before 1889. I think it´s another nice clue of the long period between the newer model was declared to be issued and the real time which it took truly.

Please correct me if I am anywhere wrong.

Best regards,Sadowa

[/img]
01-4.jpg

02-5.jpg
[/img]
03-4.jpg

[/img]
04-4.jpg

09-3.jpg

13-2.jpg

[/img]
14-1.jpg

Great helmet. I love these older pieces with the heavy gauge leather, higher profiles and big visors. Excellent markings and condition!! Well done. Brian

Does the wappen have screw posts and square nuts? Or the older screw post fasteners from the 1870's. I notice that the spike is held on by split brads...probably the originals would have been screw posts soldered to the domes. I do not mean to be negative, this is a very beautiful helmet and totally original just pointing out some contemporary changes perhaps. I love when helmets are so well marked, there can be no doubt on this one. Brian

Hello guys,
thanks to all of you for your nice comments.
Up to Brian´s question and sharp eye:
1/ yes the wappend is fixed by screws and square nuts
2/ spike base is held by split brads

I think it could be correct because I have one pickelhaube M.1867 with the same "combination" /see one of my first posts /:

http://pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21771&highlight=#21771

Thanks again,Alexandr

Excellent early helmet with nice markings! One observation - the two dates do not match in size exactly. Is it possible that the left one is 1888 - the last digit does show sort of an inward sweep as on an 8? In this case the right stamp of 1889 may belong to the "II" stamp and thus date the year it was marked as second grade.

For our newer members....... look how wide the visor trim is on this helmet. The older helmets have these characteristics....heavier gauge leather, higher profile for the shell, pearl ring spike, screw post wappen, bolt on chin scales, different style wappen. This is a text book 1870's helmet. Superbe! Brian

Back