5th BIR in franco-prussian war

911car

Would some of you know of the history of the 5th bavarian infantry regiment? I would like to know in which battles it was engaged in 1870-1871. I know, tough question...
Thank you much in advance;
Bruno

Hi Bruno

The 5th Bavarian Infantry served with the III Army under the Prussian Crown Prince. IInd Bavarian Army Corps, 4th Division, 7th Brigade and was commanded by Colonel Muhlbaur. At the battle of Weissenburg its 3rd Battallion was engaged and suffered the loss of 7 killed and 47 wounded. I'll do some further research to see what other engagements it participated in. Hope this helps.

Larry

Hi Bruno

I finished doing some basic research on the 5th BI and it appears that it served with the III Army for the entire war and after the Battle of Sedan was involved with the Siege of Paris. I'll note below some casualty returns which will give an idea of the regiments activities.

Battle of Worth, 3 killed, 35 wounded, 1st & 2nd Btl engaged

Battle of Sedan 1 killed, 3 wounded

Drive on Paris, battles Petit Bicetre & Chatillon 1 killed, 6 wounded 1st & 2nd Btl.

Investment of Paris

21 September 4 wounded

27 September (3rd Battalion assigned to 8th Brigade) 2 wounded

Battle of Chevilly 1 killed, 7 wounded

Battle of Bagneux 9 kiled, 9 wounded

19th October 4 wounded

7th January 1871 4 wounded

8th January 2 wounded

9th January 2 wounded, 1 missing

15th January 2 wounded

17th January 1 wounded

The total casualties for the IInd Bavarian Army Corps were 808 killed, 2582 wounded.

The 3rd battalion of the 5th Regiment seems to have been attached to the 8th Brigade for the better part of the campaign.

Best Regards

Larry

I did not put two and two together! Larry, I did not know you were in the mix! Perhaps next year, we can get you and your lovely wife to join us at the La Quinta. I think I ended up with one of your helmets.

I am posting this for Larry.
stew1.jpg

Thought this might be fun to show what a typical Bavarian Infantryman would have looked like in the years 1870-71. This soldier is armed with the M1867 Podewils rifle which was Bavaria's crash and burn attempt to develop a breech loading weapon to counter the Prussian needle gun. It was a stop gap measure at best which although was indeed a breech loading weapon it still relied upon the seperately affixed percussion cap. Interestingly this soldier wears on his chest the 1866 cross which was awarded for the campaigns against Prussian in the Austro-Prussian War of the same year.

Larry has a bunch more Franco-Prussian war images he would like to post. So I guess we'll put our request in. I would very much like to see images of a Franco-Prussian Bavarian Kürassier. Specifically I would like to see an officer's breastplate and compare it against an enlisted breastplate.

Back