6th Bavarian Chevauleger Regiment

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Posting photos sent to me by a member, an excellent collection all to one specific unit:

Very nice.

Leutnant d.R. (24.1.10) Edgar Tregler. Promoted to Oberleutnant d.R. on 22.7.15 (Patent of 1.6.15). Appears to have spent most of the war in Train units.

Regards
Glenn

Notice that the Luger and the Kar 88 carbine are both not only unit marked to the 6th Chevauleger Regiment, but to the same squadron. This is very difficult to find.

I find the uberzug fascinating as well with those small white cloth tapes....so feldgrau on one side, which reverses to a winter white? Extremely rare to be able to collect all of these pieces with markings to the same unit let alone the luger and the carbine to the same squadron. Can anyone tell us where this unit served, so as to get some idea of how they survived or were captured?? These are Neil's by the way FYI.

That is a beautiful example of an M1886 Chevauleger Regiment Mannschaften Pickelhaube. Is it issue or private purchase? They are extremely difficult to find. You see officer's examples many times each year. Mannschaften like this one, never.

Ok...I have to demonstrate my ignorance here Lt, (Lieutenant) I know but d. R. ? Dragoner Regt ?? de Reserve ?

I don't know if it is issue or private purchase. How do you tell? Please explain the distinctive features of this pickelhaube that makes it special.

Also note that all of this "stuff" was acquired at different times from different sources. None of it came together, and that includes the pickelhaube and the carrying case. If there is interest, I will send more detailed photos of the pickelhaube to Brian for posting (he has been very gracious to do so up to now).

My research as to their activities during WWI are shown below. If anyone knows additional or contrary information, I would be pleased to receive it.

When mobilized, the Staff, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Squadrons took to the field with the Bavarian Cavalry Division. These squadrons, still in the 5th Bavarian Cavalry Brigade, served with the Bavarian Cavalry Division throughout the war, except for the short period when the division had no cavalry, discussed below. In addition, during September 1914, the regiment was loaned to the Stantz Army Detachment (whereabouts and activities unknown). The 1st Squadron remained behind as the Ersatz Squadron at Bayreuth, 3rd Bavarian Corps District.

The Bavarian Cavalry Division took part in the western campaign until 24Nov1914. Then, the division served as occupation troops in Belgium and trained until 19Jan1915. The 1st and 2nd Royal Bavarian Heavy Cavalry Regiments improvised a Schutzen battalion of four companies, by seconding 80 troopers per squadron, which fought from January to March 1915 at Verdun. From 2Apr1915 until 1917, the division was on the Russian Front, from 16Nov1917 onwards in Romania and from 1Apr1918 onwards in the Ukraine. From 25Nov1917 to 21Mar1918, the division had no cavalry. From 20Apr1918, the division only had two cavalry brigades; the 1st Brigade (1st and 2nd Royal Bavarian Heavy Cavalry) and the 5th Brigade (1st and 6th Royal Bavarian Chevaulegers). Whereabouts and engagements during the period of absence is unknown. In Spring 1918, the division served as occupation troops in Romania and the Ukraine. In early summer, elements were on the Crimea. Both of these brigades remained mounted until the end of the war.

Sources:
1. Volume 7--German Divisions in World War I, Volume 7: Cavalry Divisions and Brigades, by Dirk Rottgardt.
2. Histories--Histories of Two Hundred and Fifty-one Divisions of the German Army Which Participated in the War (1914-1918), by United States Army American Expeditionary Forces General Staff, G-2.
3.Wikipedia.
4. Headgear--Imperial German Headgear (1888-1914) Field Guide, by James Turinetti and Albert O’Connor

Great information, thanks Neil. Just send me one picture of the interior and we will be able to tell whether it was a private purchase helmet. Also, is it stamped/marked to the 6th on the rear visor?

I really like the 6th Chevaulegers.

They are "my" regiment, too.

Many years ago I spend some time in Bayreuth, where the regiment was based before WWI.

I was lucky to get some items linked to the 6th Chevaulegers.

Once an old lady gave me some memorabilia of her Father, Othmar von Glass, who was a "Schwolli", too.

Best wishes

GardeUlan

I will send some photos of the interior Brian. There is stamping on the under side of the rear visor, but it is now so shallow that I can't read it. There are two paper stamps and some hand writing inside the shell, but it's washed out and unreadable. The helmet size, 54, is hand written on the leather interior. The wappen is held on by screw posts and small brass wing nuts. Really, the pickelhaube could be any of the 2, 4, 6 or 8Ch.

Would it be normal for an enlisted man to
carry both a pistol and a rifle ?
I don't collect fire arms
so I have no knowledge about this .
At any rate great collection .
Thanks
Steve

Back