75th Battalion (Mississauga) CEF

Lost Skeleton

I'm not really certain where to post this. It is a "latest find," but the Mods are free to move it to a more appropriate discussion if required. I'm not really equipped to photograph uniforms, but I wanted to share this Canadian made Lieutenant's cuff rank Service Dress jacket with our Canadian hosts.

P1070091_zpshiiqyxkl.jpg

The material is an extremely lightweight fine brushed twill, which may be a cotton/wool blend. It might also incorporate silk thread. Unfortunately, I have no expertise in this department

P1070104_zpsgblokmwx.jpg

The collar dogs are matching. The tunic is unnamed, but the tailor was Crawford's Limited of Yonge Street, Toronto

P1070103_zpsln5rzunf.jpg

4th Canadian Division CEF formation patch worn by the 75th Battalion. This insignia is displayed on both shoulders

P1070106_zpsagwpejxv.jpg

Matching Lieutenant's cuff rank cloth pips

P1070094_zpstbtkcn7u.jpg

Canada General Service buttons

P1070099_zpsqv7sb9en.jpg

75 Overseas Battalion cap badge

P1070098_zps0tk8km9d.jpg

The Service Dress cap is British made, and as such features British General Service buttons to secure the chinstrap. The chinstrap itself is unusual in that incorporates brass adjustment keepers in manner of the other ranks SD cap. It may be a replacement, but it is contemporary with the cap

P1070100_zpsh0c4b4pi.jpg

The Royal Warrant of Humphreys & Crook

P1070101_zps4x6out2a.jpg

The cap is extremely well made with a high quality leather sweatband and a suede panel stitched to the forehead section. Note how the peak edge is finished

Chas

Thanks for commenting, Ron. I know this isn't "canadianexpeditionaryforce.com," but I thought it was worth posting.

Now, back to helmets… :wink:

Chas

Carry On!

(That's the unit's motto) - the 75th Battalion (Mississauga) CEF saw action at Vimy Ridge almost 100 years. Excellent find.

An outstanding addition and it does fit under the category of latest find, thanks for sharing.

It is not a helmet but still is refered to militaria so why not post it here ,is a nice chanse to see and learn something else
Is a very nice uniform

Jonas

Great post Chas, thank you. You need a Sam Browne to complete that. :) Yes, 100th anniversary of Vimy Ridge coming up in April. A very big battle in the history of Canada. This victory marks the birth of Canadian Nationalism and eventual independence from Britain.

Thanks, Brian.

I have a couple of nice Sam Brownes — one, I purchased recently from Herr Schnurr. I was simply too lazy to fit it to that Teutonic-visaged display torso. Besides, it would look incongruous without a shirt and tie. :D

True Chas...then, I would approach Herr Schnurr about that shirt and tie because, if anyone has them, he does. :)

Back