8th Hussar Leutnant in full dress.

Hi Steve, Now that you asked the question I'm going to change my ID to the 8th HR. It looks like there are cyphers on his shoulder straps. There were only five HRs that wore both the cyphers and were authorized to wear a Pelz. These were 2 Leib Hussars, 8th, 13th, 15th and 16th. From the pelzmutze we can rule out the 2LH and the 15th HR had a different cuff style on the Pelz. The 13th HR had red kolpaks and his looks too light to be red. Of the 2 remaining, the 16th had a yellow kolpak and the 8th light blue. His looks very light which is what the light blue would look like while yellow tends to be darker. Also his cypher looks like it is 2 pieces (crown and initials), whereas the 16th HR cypher appears to be a single piece.

Bob ;
I see the cyphers now
B & W photos can play tricks with the shades of color
Here are officers shoulder straps for H R 8 and H R 16
Both cyphers are for auslanders ( or non -German ) so they are always thicker in height
but you are correct H R 16 cyphers seem to have the crown attached to the top of the cyphers
Steve
H R 8 X 3.JPGH R 16 X 7.jpeg

A beautiful photo. I also think henis from HR8, because the color of the Attila and trouser look similar. HR8 would wear an Attila in darkblue and a mottled dark blue trouser. For HR16 he would wear an Attila in cornflower blue and a trouser in mottled dark blue.

Back