94th reg. kokarde

beerens

Dear Forum members,

At the Stubbs book, I see the kokardes of the 94th reg.: Sachsen Weimar etc. 5th Thuringes, being defined as: Green, gold, black. In the Laine book, I see these being defined as: Gold, green, black. All sources I have seen so far do indicate that both possibilities can be right. What about these kokardes and did these coulour patterns change at a certain date??

Ad the colors changed in 1897. This specific question drove me NUTS forever as I had an old one and everyone yes everyone told me it was all wet. Now a very confusing point it that the references did not change right away. I have an 1899 Ruhl that has the old colors.
NCOCockade_14.jpg

ruhlcockade500.jpg

ruhlcockade700_1.jpg

ruhlcockade700_2.jpg

Hi

I totally agree with Joe

Sachsen Weimar Eisenach: up to 1897: yelow - green - black then starting from 1897 : green -yellow -black. However, this is the German regulation and maybe not the reality "on the ground" within the 94th... Maybe on some helmets, the cockade could have been changed later (1898, 1899)...

Eric

Thanks guys,
But I am still confused. As I watch the dealers Weitze, Derrittmeister and Kube, I see lots of yelow, green and black kokarde dating from around 1910. I can imagine it drives one crazy. Hereby an additional question: If we have a green, yellow, black officer: How was the ring turned into yellow/gold? was it paint, was it paint with small parts of real gold or were these rings really gilded (I don't expext the latter)?

How was the ring turned into yellow/gold?
Ad I don't know. But I have seen any gold color rings that have lost ALL their color sort of like gilded zinc parts. So maybe they were gilded.

I am not sure this guy is 94th but what is he?
Thuroff.jpg

Thuroff_1.jpg

Thuroff_2.jpg

Thuroff_3.jpg

Good afternoon Joe,
Hard to tell what kind of man this is, but it is an interesting picture anayway and definitly from Weimar. Thanks for sharing! The kockade ring at this picture seems to be bright, so this was obviously a green, gold/yellow, black cokcade. In fact the same confusion appears when identifying a Braunschweig officer's cockade. Hard to tell what material was used for the officer's ring. I have seen many species where the coulour has vanished completely and had turned into tin white.

Back