9th Grenadier "Colberg" Restoration

Steve Nick

9th Grenadier Regiment -2nd Pomeranian Colberg Grenadier Regiment "Graf Gneisenau".
2nd Army Corps (Pomerania), 3rd Division

This a special piece for me as it has an unusual provenance.

This helmet is one that I’ve had for over 25 years. It has been extensively restored. I was offered the helmet by a fellow collector in Ottawa who being a Great War buff had found the helmet lying on the ground in a German bunker somewhere in France. He hesitated to bring it home because it had been lying on the ground for decades and the top of the shell had rotted out. So, there was a substantial hole in the top of it and parts of the liner were missing. He did find the spike. The rest of the piece was intact and the visor markings validated the fact that the helmet belonged to the 9th Regiment.

I got it for a reasonable price and held onto it not knowing what I was going to do with it. A couple of years later a collector friend from Montreal introduced me to a fellow who had done some restoration work for him and enjoyed the challenge of bringing collectibles back to life. I trusted him with the helmet and about three months later he sent it back. He had managed to rebuild the shell using some resin materials and replaced parts of the damaged liner.

I was thrilled with the result. Yes, it’s a restored helmet. No, it’s not going to command big money. But yes, I saved a piece of history to a unique regiment of the Imperial German Army that I have enjoyed looking at over the years.
Some detail on the helmet itself.

It is marked on the rear visor “2B 1911” meaning 2nd Battalion, issued 1911, as well as “CGR 9” for Colberg Grenadier Regiment #9.
On March 22, 1897 Kaiser Wilhelm II authorized the introduction of the Reichskokarde for the Army to be worn on the right side of the helmet while the Landeskokarde was moved to the left side. At the same time, he introduced a new front plate (Wappen) very similar to the Gardes Eagle front plate for the 7th Prussian Line Grenadier Regiment (2nd West Prussian) replacing the previous pattern which was essentially a Prussian Line Eagle with an intertwined FWR cypher.

The new Garde style Grenadier plate was phased into the other eleven Prussian Grenadier Regiments over the next 18 years. On June 16, 1913 the 9th Regiment received authorization to wear the new Grenadier plate featuring the regiments’ battle honour “Colberg 1807” which it won during the Napoleonic Wars.

Colberg was a Prussian port on the Pomeranian coat that withstood a siege by the French from April to July of 1807. It was the only Prussian fortress to withstand a French siege during the French-Prussian war of 1806-1807.

Attachments

• DSC_1268 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1268 Re-Sized.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 2,388
  • DSC_1257  Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1257 Re-Sized.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 2,389
  • DSC_1261 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1261 Re-Sized.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 2,388
  • DSC_1264 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1264 Re-Sized.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 2,388
  • DSC_1260 Damage  Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1260 Damage Re-Sized.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 2,388
Great job done on that helmet .
Do you have any photos of "before "
or during the work to put it back to what it is today ?
From memory I think that CGR9 was issued the "new wide winged eagle
fairly late .The Grenadiers are some of my favorites G R 1 thru G R 12
Many thanks for the photos
Steve McFarland

Steve:

No "Before" photos sadly. I wish I had taken some.

Trust me, it was a mess. The only thing that saved it was the fact that it was correctly and legibly marked to the only Grenadier unit entitled to wear the "Colberg 1807" battle honour.

It had to be saved if at all possible.

Cheers:

Steve

KAGGR#1 said:
Great job done on that helmet .
Do you have any photos of "before "
or during the work to put it back to what it is today ?
From memory I think that CGR9 was issued the "new wide winged eagle
fairly late .The Grenadiers are some of my favorites G R 1 thru G R 12
Many thanks for the photos
Steve McFarland

Steve,
The wide winged eagle was adopted on 16 June 1913. Until that time the Wappen looked like this:

ZdMKZGv.jpg

John :)

Very interesting. I wrote an article (unfortunately in French) dealing with these helmets. Most of them we can find today come from the battle of "Les Loges" near Roye in octobrer 1914, where hundreds of wounded "Colberger" were left after an attack on the french positions. French took lots of helmets on the wounded and dead "Colberger".

Steve

The wide winged eagle was adopted on 16 June 1913. Until that time the Wappen looked like this:

[/quote]

John:

Thanks for that photo of the pre-1913 plate . I was looking around for an example to post and couldn't find one.

Nice helmet.

Steve N

Thanks
so as I thought ; mid -1913 .That plate was not worn long before the Feldgrau helmets arrived on the scene .I do not know of a Feldgrau G R 9 plate with the Colburg banner .Has anyone out there ever seen or heard of one ?
I have a Feldgrau helmet with a Feldgrau Prussian line eagle .The helmet is Kammer issue to Grenadier Regt. 1
I don't think that G R 1 ; G R 4 ; G R 7 or G R 9 ever had their plates made into Feldgrau examples .Years ago a collector
in Calif. ; Lector Orrick published a list of know plates in Feldgrau .Maybe I have even seen it on this site some years ago ?
Steve McFarland

Steve:

I have a copy of the Orrick list. It's fairly old (undated but typewritten).

According to his list there are documented examples of the Garde style M1915 Grenadier plates in existance, but no Genadier plates with a bandeau. Which would imply that a generic wide wing Garde style eagle was made in steel and was worn by all Grenadier regiments.

That's a beauty!

I couldn't find the date that the regiment was awarded the Colberg battle honour.

I wonder how far back that goes.

BTW, does 911car make reference to Porsche?

Ahh...

A kindred spirit then?

I have a 1989 944 Turbo S. I've had it for 19 years now.

Member of PCA Rennsport Region Ottawa-Montreal.

911car said:
John showed an officer older type helmet. Here is the 1867 enlisted model:

You are correct. Mine is a Model 1867 Officer helmet.
It can be seen here:

https://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11419&sid=c0096bdde02ce53700946ca650b33228

Steve Nick said:
That's a beauty!

I couldn't find the date that the regiment was awarded the Colberg battle honour.

I wonder how far back that goes.

BTW, does 911car make reference to Porsche?

The 9th Infantry Regiment (Grenadier) was awarded the Colberg 1807 bandeaux on 18 October 1849.

[/quote]

The 9th Infantry Regiment (Grenadier) was awarded the Colberg 1807 bandeaux on 18 October 1849.

[/quote]

Thanks for that John.

[/quote]

I have the dates here Steve. http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pe/m1887.htm
[/quote]

Thanks Tony. That's helpful.

I've been on your site more than a few times, guess I missed it.

It's a terrific site by the way.

Back