A Badge or two for Otto ....

Mike Huxley

.... I thought you might like to see a couple of badges that I have in my collection. I think that you'll like them Otto.

First, A Prussian Pilots Badge, Junckers marked with name and ONLY half moon and 800.

Obverse.

Reverse.

Now for a cased one .. this time an Observers Badge. Again Junckers marked with half moon and 800. Still showing it's original frosting.

Reverse.

And a shot of the Junckers printed mark inside the case.

One of my interests is Imperial aviation awards .. I also have a grouping to a Saxon Observer. Albert von Hesler ... born Elberfeld, circa 1893 ... Fähnrich Schützen Rgt 108 8.2.13, Oberleutnant aD alive 1926. Albert Order Knight 2nd X 22.12.14 as Lt in SR108, Civil Merit Order Knt 2X 23/12/16 as "Lt in a Kampfstaffel."

Here is a picture of the grouping I have. The original awards are mounted on a replacement bar, but all came from the family including the unmarked observer badge.

The medal bar

Observers badge.

Last his picture.

Yes Tony you are correct there are no weep holes no maker marks. The badge has a seperate attached Observer patch and I will show closer pictures tomorrow.

But I would say that the quality is up to Junckers standards even though it doesn't show their mark.

Hi Mike:

That has to be one of the most impressive privately owned groups I have seen. Thank you for sharing.

Chas.

Mike Huxley said:
Yes Tony you are correct there are no weep holes no maker marks. // But I would say that the quality is up to Junckers standards even though it doesn't show their mark.

Mike, I was asking about the TOP pilot's badge. It is a Junckers but I do not see weep holes. The reason I ask, is I saw one recently, absolutely correct Juncker flat-back, but it was solid. It looked exactly like yours. Is yours solid as well? I assume you have seen my flight badge page?

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/flieger/f31.htm

Thanx, Tony

Tony, sorry I got the wrong end of the stick with your question. The first badge is 2 piece construction and does have a weep hole, but in this scan its not seen as it's under the pin just below the catch. Again the cased observers is the same but as you can see has the ray back finish.

The second Observers badge, however is of one piece construction, not maker or silver marked and does not have a weep hole. But as I said in my last reply, it's quality points to it being Junckers made.

From the astoturf background in the cased observer picture, I'm sure you can guess where this badge came from :D

Your page on flight badges was one of the first that I read when I started collecting aviation badges. Good solid information and a great guide, thanks Tony.

Drat. Not solid. I thought I had a second example with your top Pilot's badge. These are all beautiful examples and way-to-go for obtaining excellent text-book examples. Very nice! And of course, I recognize the background on your beautiful Observer's from a friend of mine. Thank you for showing them. T

Back